PDA

View Full Version : Install Parallels Tools on Linux

fadrianoc
Jun 22, 2007, 01:27 AM
Select Actions -> Install parallels tools...
In a terminal, enter:
cd /media/Parallels\ Tools/
sudo sh parallels-tools.run

Centos 5 (last version avaible)
When insert in terminal the command above i receive an error
/media/Parallels Tools/: No such file or directory

the cdrom icon when clicked display:
connect to vmtools-linux.iso

How to solve that ?
Thanks

ariell
Jun 22, 2007, 01:28 AM
Parallels tools is not yet made for linux; only windows.

fadrianoc
Jun 22, 2007, 01:36 AM
Are you sure ?
I don't think so.
With last version Parallels Tools works on linux distro, i've read many posts about that.
Hoping to have read well :-)

fadrianoc
Jun 22, 2007, 01:42 AM
From the manual:

7 Change the directory to the CD-ROM and run the installer by the command:
sh parallels-tools.run

How to change the directory to the CD-ROM in terminal ?
Sorry for the newbie question :-)

fbronner
Jun 22, 2007, 08:07 AM

Nope it does exist for Linux. I have it working in Kubuntu and OpenSuSE.

fbronner
Jun 22, 2007, 08:09 AM
Fadrianoc,

Most likely Centos is not mounting the CD under media, you might want to try to check in your /etc/fstab where it mounts the cd, and change to that directory instead. If that does not work, you may have to make a new mount point for your CD-ROM and mount it there.

Try asking around in the Centos forums, they might be able t ohelp you mount it.

talmy
Jun 22, 2007, 08:47 AM
Probably needs to be "cd /media/cdrom"

In a terminal, enter:

amahler
Jun 22, 2007, 10:03 AM
In a terminal, enter:

Centos 5 (last version avaible)
When insert in terminal the command above i receive an error
/media/Parallels Tools/: No such file or directory

the cdrom icon when clicked display:
connect to vmtools-linux.iso

How to solve that ?
Thanks

I just did a CentOS 5 install as well and experienced the same thing. I've not dug around enough yet to figure out what's interfering, but here's a quick workaround.

Make sure Parallels is connected to the vmtools-linux.iso file. You can use the little CD icon in the bottom of the Parallels window to check this. The .iso file is located in /Library/Parallels/Tools on your Mac.

Open a terminal in CentOS and type:

mount /dev/hdb /media

Then cd to /media and type:

I'll dig around a little more to see what's disagreeing with CentOS 5, but it seems to be a fairly superficial problem.

Hope that helps!
- Aaron

TheSystemHasFailed
Jun 24, 2007, 01:50 PM

It's part of Parallels 3 now.

ndutyme
Jul 17, 2007, 09:32 AM
I just did a CentOS 5 install as well and experienced the same thing. I've not dug around enough yet to figure out what's interfering, but here's a quick workaround.

Make sure Parallels is connected to the vmtools-linux.iso file. You can use the little CD icon in the bottom of the Parallels window to check this. The .iso file is located in /Library/Parallels/Tools on your Mac.

mount /dev/hdb /media

I'll dig around a little more to see what's disagreeing with CentOS 5, but it seems to be a fairly superficial problem.

Hope that helps!
- Aaron

I don't even see the "vmtools-linux.iso file in my /Library/Parallels/Tools directory.
Is it possible that this only comes with version 3 or something?
If so, has anyone tried to copy this .iso file and use it on pre version 3 Parallels VMs?
I don't want to have to pay for version 3 without knowing if this version of the tools will work or not.

jackybe67
Jul 18, 2007, 07:31 AM
Ive mounted parallels tools on desktop, but i dubble click on icon i get error.

Couldn't display "/media/cdrom0/parallels-tools.run

bruckwine
Jul 20, 2007, 02:35 PM

mount /dev/hdb /media

Hope that helps!
- Aaron

thanks I got the parallels tool to install..but upon restarting and loggin in back I don't see the tools icon..and the system still says I cannot share folders?!

Edit: I CAN however move by mouse cursor in and out w/o ctl+alt..is that it?!

fbronner
Jul 20, 2007, 03:01 PM
thanks I got the parallels tool to install..but upon restarting and loggin in back I don't see the tools icon..and the system still says I cannot share folders?!

Edit: I CAN however move by mouse cursor in and out w/o ctl+alt..is that it?!

Yes, and you should be able to resize the VM window, which will resize the X windows session dynamically.

bruckwine
Jul 20, 2007, 03:09 PM
whoa - they need to work on that...how do I get data in there w/o burning dics or the internet then? Kind of pointless in the end :-|

vamsireddy22
Jul 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hi pals,

To enable Parallels Tools for Linux, simply mount Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools-linux.iso via the Configuration Editor or via the little cd icon at the bottom of the Parallels guest os window. Once vmtools-linux.iso was mounted (I had to do 1 reboot to see the mounted vmtools-linux.iso icon on the desktop)

mounting cdrom

1. mkdir /mnt/cdrom ( create empty directory)
2. mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom (mount cdrom)

running parallels tools

1. sudo sh parallels-tools.run (installs parallels tools)

I then typed in “sudo sh parallels-tools.run” via the terminal (from the corresponding /media/cdrom directory) to have Parallels Tools enabled. Things like Coherence mode and 3d support are still only available for Windows, but at least Linux has some nice acceleration with Parallels Tooks and the ability to move freely the mouse in and out of the Parallels guest OS window. Furthermore Snapshots worked in Linux as well.

Source: http://lunapark6.com/parallels-desktop-30-for-mac.html

the following features works when parallels tools are installed

1. full screen mode
2. ability to move mouse freely in and out of OS's
3. date synchronisation
4. snapshot

have a nice time.

Vamsi

Quillz
Jul 21, 2007, 12:13 AM
It's included with Parallels 3 at least, I just finished installing it on Ubuntu 7.04.

waffle168
Jul 23, 2007, 12:06 AM
I'm trying to install the parallels tools for linux. So far, I've got ubuntu working in parallels. But not much luck with the tools installation.

I'm getting the following error:

dell3700:/Volumes/Parallels Tools azai$ sudo sh parallels-tools.run
Password:
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Parallels Tools for Linux............................................. ...................................
No Xserver found in system.

No sure what that means? Can someone shed some light for me? Thanks.

fbronner
Jul 23, 2007, 06:52 AM
I'm trying to install the parallels tools for linux. So far, I've got ubuntu working in parallels. But not much luck with the tools installation.

I'm getting the following error:

dell3700:/Volumes/Parallels Tools azai$ sudo sh parallels-tools.run
Password:
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Parallels Tools for Linux............................................. ...................................
No Xserver found in system.

No sure what that means? Can someone shed some light for me? Thanks.

Hi Waffle, it sounds as if your X windows subsystem is not installed. That would be surprising. When you boot your Ubuntu session, what do you see? Do you see a graphical interface? Which version of ubuntu are you trying to install?

I have had lots of problems installing the Live CD's, the alternate CDs have been a breeze to install.

If you do have a graphical interface when you boot up your Xwindows, where did you install it from. Was it installed along with your initial install or did you download it and install it separately?

waffle168
Jul 23, 2007, 08:21 AM
Hi FBronner,

Thanks for your help.

Hi Waffle, it sounds as if your X windows subsystem is not installed. That would be surprising. When you boot your Ubuntu session, what do you see? Do you see a graphical interface? Which version of ubuntu are you trying to install?

Interesting that you ask, I see a black screen with nothing on it for about 20 seconds or so before the the screen that asks your username appears. I'm not sure if that's what others see. Once I enter my username and password, Ubuntu seems to be launching just fine. I've installed Ubuntu v. 7.04.

I have had lots of problems installing the Live CD's, the alternate CDs have been a breeze to install.

If you do have a graphical interface when you boot up your Xwindows, where did you install it from. Was it installed along with your initial install or did you download it and install it separately?

Not quite sure what you're talking about. I don't think I've installed Xwindows. Maybe that's the problem?

fbronner
Jul 24, 2007, 08:15 PM
Well, I have been trying to install the 3rd alpha of 7.10 and i seem to have the same issue as you.

As soon as I figure something I'll post back here

waffle168
Jul 25, 2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks fbronner.

telepo
Jul 26, 2007, 04:12 PM
Yes, please do Fbronner. I am having the same problem. Help would be most appreciated!!

fbronner
Jul 26, 2007, 06:04 PM
Yes, please do Fbronner. I am having the same problem. Help would be most appreciated!!

Still working on it. Took a breather while installing the latest Leopard, and figuring out how to make Parallel work under it..

Now that I've got my parallel back working in leopard, I'll take some time to figure this one out :-)

bergelmir
Jul 26, 2007, 06:09 PM
I installed Suse Linux 10.1 on my Mac Mini using version 3 of Parallels. After verifying that the installation worked I tried installing Parallels tools. Although the installation seemed to work I found out that as soon as I tried to change any important function in Suse, which requires super user access, the super user password no longer worked. I repeated the operation (making a backup the second time before applying the tools) and got the same result. One cannot remove the tools afterwards since this too requires root acces!

For now I'll run Suse without the tools.

Any suggestions?

fbronner
Jul 27, 2007, 06:39 AM
I installed Suse Linux 10.1 on my Mac Mini using version 3 of Parallels. After verifying that the installation worked I tried installing Parallels tools. Although the installation seemed to work I found out that as soon as I tried to change any important function in Suse, which requires super user access, the super user password no longer worked. I repeated the operation (making a backup the second time before applying the tools) and got the same result. One cannot remove the tools afterwards since this too requires root acces!

For now I'll run Suse without the tools.

Any suggestions?

Do you really have to use SuSE 10.1? I'm using 10.2 and have not suffered from something as weird as that.

If you have a compelling reason to keep 10.1, I'm suggestion you make a backup, reboot your SuSE 10.1 session with the original CD/DVD and proceed to put back in a root password.

You should be able to find how to replace a lost root password in linux using Google.

bergelmir
Jul 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
Do you really have to use SuSE 10.1? I'm using 10.2 and have not suffered from something as weird as that.

If you have a compelling reason to keep 10.1, I'm suggestion you make a backup, reboot your SuSE 10.1 session with the original CD/DVD and proceed to put back in a root password.

You should be able to find how to replace a lost root password in linux using Google.
I finally got openSuse 10.2 and managed to get it working and even got the screen resolution I wanted but as to Parallels-tools it's a no go. I've tried both the Gnome and KDE setups but on choosing Install Parallels tools from the menu Suse insists on creating a blank cd and mounts nothing -- at least it doesn't crash!. (There is no cdrom in the media directory so there is nothing to run.) I tried Ubuntu and had no problem; it worked as advertized. But I would like to get the tools working in Suse. I've looked through the forum and saw that many have had this problem but I found no solution that works.

Note that I'm running version 3 of Parallels ant I think it's the latest build.

fbronner
Jul 28, 2007, 04:37 PM
For open suse do this after making sure you selected install parallel tools.

Open a Konsole session and type the following

sudo init 3
sudo umount /media/cdrom
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
cd /media/cdrom
sudo init 5

bergelmir
Jul 29, 2007, 08:02 AM
For open suse do this after making sure you selected install parallel tools.

Open a Konsole session and type the following

sudo init 3
sudo umount /media/cdrom
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
cd /media/cdrom
sudo init 5

Under Suse 10.2 (Gnome) After selecting install parallels tools and seeing "CD-ROM Disc" on the desktop, the first command "sudo init 3" (after asking for the root password) returns a "Command not found" message. The following two commands return "not found" messages and only floppy is in the media directory.

The previous version of Suse that I had (10.1) was a full blown Novell version with a real root account -- sudo not needed. In that version the disk mounted and you could issue the sh command but then it proceeded to wipe out the root access.

In 10.2 the inittab file in etc seems to indicate that runmode 3 cannot be used in tty because of something they did which may explain the first error message.

The bottom line is that I still cannot install Parallels tools.

fbronner
Jul 29, 2007, 08:24 PM
Under Suse 10.2 (Gnome) After selecting install parallels tools and seeing "CD-ROM Disc" on the desktop, the first command "sudo init 3" (after asking for the root password) returns a "Command not found" message. The following two commands return "not found" messages and only floppy is in the media directory.

The previous version of Suse that I had (10.1) was a full blown Novell version with a real root account -- sudo not needed. In that version the disk mounted and you could issue the sh command but then it proceeded to wipe out the root access.

In 10.2 the inittab file in etc seems to indicate that runmode 3 cannot be used in tty because of something they did which may explain the first error message.

The bottom line is that I still cannot install Parallels tools.

Wow,

Are you using OpenSuSE? Because the instructions I typed are the same exact ones I used when I upgraded my openSuSE 10.2 to the 4560 parallel tools.

There is something really weird with your system if it doesn't find umount and mount.

You can try booting directly to text mode by appending a 3 at the end of you boot line in grub. You could also not do the init 3 and init 5 and simply run the commands from a gnome console but then, you will have to logout and restart the x windows server.

bergelmir
Jul 30, 2007, 09:22 AM
Wow,

Are you using OpenSuSE? Because the instructions I typed are the same exact ones I used when I upgraded my openSuSE 10.2 to the 4560 parallel tools.

There is something really weird with your system if it doesn't find umount and mount.

You can try booting directly to text mode by appending a 3 at the end of you boot line in grub. You could also not do the init 3 and init 5 and simply run the commands from a gnome console but then, you will have to logout and restart the x windows server.

I'm running System 10.4.10 on a MacMini Intel duo core. Parallels is Version 3, build 4560. The iso file from which the installation disk was made is
openSUSE-10.2-GM-DVD-i386.iso

Whether or not I skip the init 3 step, Parallels tools will not install. Since you said you updated your installation to 4560 do you remember what you were running when you initially installed SUSE 10.2? Was Parallels 2.5 or 3? Which build? That may be the problem. I Still have 2.5 on a cloned bootable backup and several previous Parallels builds. Maybe one of those would work to get some version of the tools in and then upgrade afterwards.

fbronner
Jul 30, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hi,

I installed that OpenSuSE on an old 2.5, I believe it was the second to last release of 2.5. So not the latest release for the initial install of the OpenSuSE.

The version 3.0 tools I installed which worked were the one before the 4560. I'll have to check if I already did the install of 4560 on opensuse. I know I'm having issues with the Kubuntu 7.10. I'll try it tonight and post back here.

fbronner
Jul 30, 2007, 07:50 PM
I have just redone it and this is what I used again. Make sure your CDROM is enabled in Parallel and not attached to a iso file

login as root

init 3
<< Selected install parallel tools in the Parallel Menu >>
umount /dev/cdrom
mkdir /media/cdrom
mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
cd /media/cdrom
sh parallels-tools.run
init 5

Actually now I'm running a suse update on that 10.2 machine as since this is my oracle server I don't update it very oftne (its been close to 8 months since my last update).

But it is working fine.

wschnaer
Jul 30, 2007, 08:19 PM
I had the same problem with OpenSuse 10.2, and I tried the method listed by vamsireddy22:

mounting cdrom

running parallels tools

It worked like a charm. I probably was lucky, because I hadn't read down to the latest posts, and this appears much simpler.

bergelmir
Aug 1, 2007, 03:06 PM
I had the same problem with OpenSuse 10.2, and I tried the method listed by vamsireddy22:

mounting cdrom

running parallels tools

It worked like a charm. I probably was lucky, because I hadn't read down to the latest posts, and this appears much simpler.

After taking into account that the first two commands also require root permissions (i.e. sudo) this worked.

Thanks, since this ends a frustrating journey.