High CPU Usage in Windows 8.1 VM with Version 10.0.2 (27712)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ParagC, Sep 15, 2014.

1. ParagC

ParagC Junior Member

Here we go again: I suffered through this with v9 before it sorted itself out through one of the many updates, but now it's back in v10. It only started after the 27712 update from last week. I get 99-101% CPU usage in Activity Monitor for the Windows 8 VM, and the fan in my MBP is running almost constantly now. There is absolutely nothing running in the VM by the way - I've just been letting it sit idle after a fresh boot. Anyone else seeing this?

2. CShack

CShack Bit poster

I too am seeing this. My VM has been running in a window and it chews CPU terribly, but when I went to full-screen it dies right now and stays low, even after going back to a window. Maybe a coincidence but try it out.

3. CShack

CShack Bit poster

Nevermind on going full screen being a fix. Pure coincidence. My CPU definitely dies down to about 20-40% (out of %400) after about 10-15 minutes though. Which still seems high. I wish I hadn't applied one of PL10's "config profiles", but I did. I think next I'll try setting the VM to 1 CPU instead of 4.

4. ParagC

ParagC Junior Member

I've already verified the # of CPUs is set to 1 (as it has always been). I suspect that's why I'm "only" seeing 100% CPU, instead of 400% like you. I can't believe I am stupid enough to keep coughing up $50 for every annual upgrade, when 8 years of annual upgrades have always gone like this. Inexcusable.

5. Christopher_Cooke

Christopher_Cooke Bit poster

I am seeing the same issue, how do you fix it?

6. JNuzzi

JNuzzi Bit poster

I have the same combo (8.1 - 10.0.2 (27712)) and my VM has become painfully slow. What's up?

7. GUISLAIN

GUISLAIN Bit poster

8. Edward_Ferrara

Edward_Ferrara Bit poster

For Windows 8.1 Pro: OK, So i have installed 27712 and the subsequent upgrade 28614 on my iMac 27 I5 with 32 Gb of RAM - running 4 Gb and 2 processors and 256 MB of video RAM and the VM is pulling 98% - 171% of CPU and performance and sluggish (ridiculously slow) performance. Machine is almost unusable. The strange thing is that I am running the same VM as a test on a I7 Macbook air running 27712 and the CPU utilization is in the very low double and single digits. Parallels Team: Can you explain?

9. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi all,
    Please update your Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac to the latest build 10.0.28614.
    Follow this link: http://kb.parallels.com/en/111603 to get the latest build of Parallels Desktop for Mac.
    If the issue still persists, please follow the steps as suggested at: http://kb.parallels.com/en/116263 and check how it goes.
    Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

10. Kennerith_McGuire

Kennerith_McGuire Bit poster

I am having the exact same problem, my cpu is pinned and the VM ( windows 8.1 ) is unusable! I have reinstalled Yosemite, and a fresh copy of Parallels 10. It worked perfectly until I rebooted. After the reboot the VM is unusable. I have followed the uninstall/reinstall steps for Parallels and still having the same issues.

Attached Files:

11. Kennerith_McGuire

I even changed from 2 cores down to 1 core as indicated in another forum. This was supposed to improve performance marginally but unfortunately it has made no difference, windows is still unusable.

Attached Files:

12. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi,
    I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below:
    1) Follow the steps provided in this link: http://kb.parallels.com/112091 to improve virtual machine performance on your Mac.
    2) Also please follow the steps mentioned in this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122767 if your Virtual Machine is extremely slow after the upgrade to Parallels desktop 10 and Yosemite.
    If the issue still persists, please create a Problem Report ID and provide us the Problem Report ID number so that we will check it for you.
    To create a Problem Report ID, please follow this link: http://kb.parallels.com/9058

13. Kennerith_McGuire

Running the above sudo command ( NVRAM fix ) did actually work, and I can now use my vm partition with windows again.

14. Ralph Webb

Ralph Webb Bit poster

I too ran the sudo command in terminal and CPU usage went from 120%+ to 20% - 30% and Windows in now usable. When Parallels works it is great but why do we have to go through a maze of fixes every time there is an update?