Problem with color blooming

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Linolil, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Linolil

Linolil Member

I just purchased a new iMac for my wife and a new parallels license so she can play everquest 2.

I don't have any problems, other than the mouse look being too sensitive, on my Macbook with EQ2 under parallels, so this problem caught me by surprise.
    When I first installed Win7, things went quite smoothly. I logged my wife's character in and did some initial testing, without observing any problems other than the over sensitive mouse. Unfortunately, since I had purchased a DVD version of Win7, the hot fixes kept appearing as each new update needed updating. Well, somewhere along the way things got broken.

Now, when I log into the game, the colors are wonderfully abstract. What should be a horizontal black line, now has areas of blue and green. White letters with black outlines are now multi-colored, unreadable icons. The VM has 2 Gig of RAM and 512M of video memory.

One thing that happened that made me during the updates was that it installed DX10. I guess the OEM DVD came with DX9.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed in fixing this?

2. Linolil

Linolil Member

Can anyone recommend a simple way of testing/adjusting color compatibility and resolution on a Windows VM?

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

Does that happen in full screen mode? Try unchecking this option VM Configuration > Options > Full screen > Allow Windows to set display gamma. You have to shut down the VM first to make this change.
    We'll investigate what's wrong with gamma control in this game. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Linolil

Linolil Member

Well, I converted to Bootcamp to cure the problem, so I cannot test your fix. I converted after receiving a heads-up that Sony has a policy of automatically banning accounts for people who they detect are using a VM to play their games. That blows my mind! Something to do with the gold sellers I suspect.