Parallels 10 can't mount Windows Drive, tried everything

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Alex_Newman, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Alex_Newman

Alex_Newman Bit poster

Hey,
    Recently upgraded to Yosemite and downloaded the parallels 10 trial, I am unable to access my windows drive on my mac.
    I run websites on Visual studio and use files form the solution on my mac text editor, however, now that I can't access my windows drive I am unable to do this.
    I don't want to purchase the software without knowing that this will work and unfortunately cannot contact support due to the fact I don't have a license.

I have tried opening the pvm with parallels mounter but get a disk read error and then an unsupported error, I have also created many new pvms just to make sure the harddrive isn't corrupt on any others. A colleague of mine works fine with his version of mavericks, so am assuming its a Yosemite issue.

I've reinstalled parallel tools, uninstalled it, manually installed it etc but nothing. Show in finder does nothing and open on mac opens blank files and my C drive is completely inaccessible. My sharing settings are all correct but still nothing.
    Can anyone help? This is interfering with my work and would be great to get it resolved as soon as possible, before I purchase the software.
    Thanks

Pablo Rojo likes this.
  2. David_Todd

David_Todd Bit poster

Has anyone got a solution for this? I'm running Parallels 9; did the upgrade to Yosemite and broke my access from Mac to Windows drives, which I used to back up my wife's data files. Her drives mounted as /Volumes/C , for example, and there is no volume from her Win 7 mounted at all now. Is there another way to get to her drive from Mac command line? Or to mount her drive, using a Mac command-line command? I've re-installed Tools several times; Win Apps show up on her Mac tool bar; I've been through the Parallels docs on how to resolve problems similar to this, but I haven't been able to find this specific problem mentioned.

3. David_Todd

David_Todd Bit poster

Should have said that I upgraded her from Mavericks to Yosemite; she's running Win 7; Win drives showed up, for example, as /Volumes/C under Mavericks but don't show up at all under Yosemite.

Was this functionality disabled by Yosemite? Does P10 restore it?

4. TimothyM

TimothyM Junior Member

I'm having this same problem. It would explain why I no longer have "Show in Finder" as an option in the context menu in Windows Explorer. I'm running Windows 7 under Parallels 9 on Yosemite.

5. David_Todd

David_Todd Bit poster

Timothy,
    I didn't get any other responses to this query, and the problem is still there. My workaround was to mount the directory as a network drive on her Mac, but it's slower, and the dismount fails fairly routinely.

Looks like this just got broken and no one's going to fix it.

6. TimothyM

TimothyM Junior Member

But it seems like this isn't working right in Parallels 10 either, so not so much a money grab from Parallels.

7. TimothyM

TimothyM Junior Member

Someone from Parallels customer support called me and looked this over. The conclusion is that this is a known issue and they're working on fixing it, and updates to Parallels 9 and 10 will come out with a fix when they have resolved the issue. For me, the "show in finder" option is what I need, and although sharing Windows drives with the Mac is broken, sharing Mac drives with Windows still works, and enabling that feature will restore "show in finder." That temporarily resolves my issue, but probably not anyone else's.

8. TimothyM

TimothyM Junior Member

Actually, "show in finder" only applies to files that are already on the Mac, shared with Windows. If you right-click a file that's on Windows, that option won't appear.

9. tkparallels

tkparallels Bit poster

Was this ever fixed in Parallels 9 or 10? I have the final version of Parallels 9 and I started having this issue after I had updated from Yosemite 10.10.3 to 10.10.4. I think it is something to do with Yosemite 10.10.4 that may be affecting both Parallels 9 and 10.