I will not be upgrading...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Michael_Sturgeon, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Michael_Sturgeon

Michael_Sturgeon Bit poster

I've used Parallels since I switched to Mac 7 years ago. I disagree with your business practice of requiring your users to upgrade (for a fee) software they've already purchased to work with the next version of the operating system. I've moved to VMWare Fusion and will not look back.

Julian_Kreho and FTLOSM like this.
  2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

... VMWare, which has a very similar policy. By the way, you don't need to upgrade to 10 to work I Yosemite, 9 works I Yosemite, and there are users reporting that 8 also does.

3. FTLOSM

FTLOSM Junior Member

It is frustrating I had updated to 9 to continue with mav now getting emails give me another $49 to upgrade to 10 to use yos, what will i not be able to do with yos using 9 vs putting out yet again another $49 to upgrade?

Julian_Kreho likes this.
  4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You will be able to do everything you do now. PDM 10 adds functionalities, and takes advantage of some new things in Yosemite, but if you don't want to spend money on the upgrade you can continue to use 9 exactly the same way you have been using but under Yosemite.

Eugene@Parallels likes this.
  5. DPCOLE72

DPCOLE72 Junior Member

The only difference is that VMWare allows unlimited installs (per seat license) as opposed to per-computer, which makes having a multi-Mac environment (2 or more) more cost-effective.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Except this thread is about the upgrade cycle.

7. Hua_Zhong

Hua_Zhong Bit poster

No, it's about business practices and whether a company puts its users first.

Julian_Kreho likes this.
  8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Are you the original poster? No.

9. Hua_Zhong

Hua_Zhong Bit poster

And you are..sorry, I don't know who you are.
    If you are Parallels employee, then I cannot think of a worse company than this. If you are not, chill out.

Julian_Kreho likes this.
  10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

1. Read my signature.
    2. Read the rest of the thread. You are hijacking and misrepresenting the original post to support your own opinions, this disrespects other users because instead of adressing their specific questions it hijacks the thread so you can manifest your own opinion about the company.
    3. I'm actually giving useful information to the original poster. What about you? How are you helping other users?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  11. Julian_Kreho

Julian_Kreho Bit poster

Parallels is the worst company out there. I have originally bought v7 and paid to upgrade to 8, and not long ago to v9. Now in order to keep up with technology and use it as intended I would have to pay again. NO MORE RANSOM! I will be using it as long as I can and in the meantime investigating an alternative software by an ethical (including parallels hacker) company. I can't wait to dump or hack parallels desktop.
    Does anyone wonder why there is software piracy? Because of this kind of greedy unethical business tactics.

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Do you know you don't need to upgrade from 9 to 10 to run Parallels under Yosemite?

13. Eugene@Parallels

Eugene@Parallels Banned

Parallels is a software company that focuses its resources on creating virtualization software to support both the Mac and Windows communities. Since Apple releases new operating systems every year, we have to keep our software up-to-date to be compatible with every new OS X getting released annually. This development is very resource-consuming and comes with costs, and unlike Apple (which sells a lot of hardware products and able to afford free-of-charge OS upgrade) it is not feasible for Parallels to offer no charge upgrades to the new versions of Parallels Desktop.

14. DPCOLE72

DPCOLE72 Junior Member

To Julian,

What Eugene says is correct. As a computer company updates its operating system, so must major applications like virtual machine handlers. I do development work and can attest to what he says because new OS versions do add new features and other changes in the code that require changes in the underlying apps to be made. Especially something as major as a VM handler that hooks directly into the OS.

If a company's product is that good, I will happily pay because my money as a customer helps keep their business going.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Parallels. Just a customer throwing my 2 cents' worth.