Parallels 9 not installing from Win 7 iso or usb

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bhorv1967, Dec 18, 2013.

1. DarrylZ

DarrylZ Junior Member

Selecting "Connect ISO" on the CD icon let my company's ISO build start to work! I've been banging my head against a wall trying to get the image to be recognized. This needs to be some kind of alternative since it's DEFINITELY not discoverable in trying to get the new VM created.

Now I just have to get our IT people to make an ISO build looking for "Parallels Virtual Machine" so their scripts will actually work, but it's not a Parallels problem any more ;)

Thanks
    Darryl

2. Looran@Parallels

Looran@Parallels Parallels Support

3. OderWat

OderWat Bit poster

I run into a similar problem while trying out "http://www.partition-recovery.com/" and its "pr.iso". I managed to boot from the ISO after I set the CD/DVD-ROM to "IDE 0:0". It originally was on "SATA 0:2" and it was not booting from that.

4. agassanti

agassanti Bit poster

Unbelievable. I, a microsoft tech and a parallels tech could not do it. At the end of my wits.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  5. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hello agassanti

We have found your support ticket and we will be getting in touch with you via shortly.

6. MatthewMacGibbon

MatthewMacGibbon Bit poster

I havent created a ticket yet, but whats the status on this and mavericks? This is important for all the users who dont have an actual disk. I havent yet repurchased parallels for my new mac, and if this isnt working it will hold of the purchase. (I have used parallels on previous versions of OSX without any issues before)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  7. Kenji

Kenji Bit poster

I have now installed parallel on my new mac mini, and experiencing the same problem.

If this persists, and we get no definitive answer, i will be demanding my money back.

8. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

9. Niclas1

Niclas1 Bit poster

I had the exact issue that bhorv1967 described and can emphasize his assumption that .iso don't get recognized.

MY SOLUTION: I used a .cdr that I originally created from my Windows CD instead of the .iso

10. DavidD8

DavidD8 Bit poster

Read through this entire thread and the same exact things are happening to me with installing Windows 10 with Parallels 11. I've also tried all of the recommended fixes in the thread and none of them work. Additionally, I've formatted my USB drive (with the ISO file on it) to FAT32 and HSF+ and it didn't matter. It simply won't recognize the ISO file whether it's on my USB drive or somewhere on my computer.

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Dear David, please move the .iso file into your Mac and then try to install and check how it works.

12. DavidD8

DavidD8 Bit poster

I did try that. Since the OS is free with my school I worked around the issue by downloading the Windows Server 2016 ISO file and Parallels recognized that one. Still wanting to install Windows 10, I deleted the Windows 10 ISO file on my computer and re-downloaded it from my school. The new downloaded file was still not recognized (hence the first file was not corrupted). I just decided to install the Windows Server 2016 ISO (while it was on my computer, not USB drive, fyi) and it worked. Note that the Windows 10 file was of type "en_windows_10_iot_core_for_minnowboard_max_x86_dvd_6856744.iso". Now sure if this variant on the version is what's causing the problem but I'm listing it if anyone else has the problem with this same exact type of install file.

13. RyanU

RyanU Bit poster

Selecting the ISO as the source for the CD/DVD on the VM configuration page solved this problem for me!