Cheapest way to go from Win7 32 to Win7 64?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by Thomas Summerall, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Thomas Summerall

Thomas Summerall Bit poster

I have parallels running Win7 32 on a 64 bit MacBook. I now need to do some Photoshop testing on Win64 software.

What's the cheapest way to do this that will work?

On amazon I see "Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack" for $139, but I'm not sure if a "system builder" version will work.

Or maybe I should buy Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack for $99?

Just not sure about this system builder thing.

Thanks for any info you can give me!

2. LawrenceSM

LawrenceSM Banned

Is there a cheap way to go from Win7 32 to Win7 64 this year. I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

3. Thomas Summerall

Thomas Summerall Bit poster

The cheapest way I found is to just buy a copy of 64bit "system builder pack". The "home premium" for $99 has worked fine so far.

4. paddys

paddys Bit poster

Immediately i try it.

Thanks to sharing....

5. kyliej

kyliej Banned

Thanks.. for this information.I want this try.

6. SakibS

SakibS Hunter

7. tt1987

tt1987 Bit poster

Retail copies of Windows 7 include both 32bit and 64bit disks. If the copy you bought only had one dvd then you did not buy a retail copy but an OEM System Builder copy. OEM copies do not entitle the purchaser to both versions of the software. You need to purchase an upgrade license retail copy (or full license copy) of Windows 7 Professional. Anytime Upgrade does NOT enable you to change from 32bits to 64bits. You must use retail to change between architectures.

In the Windows 7 Professional 64-bit "Upgrade" disc the same as the retail Windows 7 Pro 64-bit version, or is there a difference?

Yes, all retail Professional dvds are the same. It is the product key that determines whethere it is a full license or upgrade license. Regardless of which type of product key it is, the software installed is exactly the same Windows 7 Professional.

"I heard that there is a chance that I could have someone (Microsoft) send me a 64-bit version since they key will work for either version"

What you heard pertained only to Vista. Vista retail editions below Ultimate only contained a 32bit dvd and purchasers had to order a 64bit dvd from Microsoft for $10 shipping and handling. That does not apply to Windows 7. All retail editions of Windows 7 include both dvds. Since you did not purchase a retail edition, Microsoft would refer you to the OEM for any assistance. Since there was no OEM you are out of luck. That's why an end user should not purchase OEM software directly.

8. Dương_Nguyen

Dương_Nguyen Bit poster

I suggest that you should check yyour hardware before upgrade. I means your RAM must be equal or higher than 4 Gb. then you can down load an upgrade at MSC that's will cost you nothing

9. thanhlam

thanhlam Bit poster

Excellent info here, I am currently doing some research and found exactly what I was looing for

Attached Files: