Let Down By Parallels

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by GordonS, Nov 12, 2014.

1. GordonS

GordonS Bit poster

I originally purchased v8 parallels for my Mac. I wrote my own Personal Book Library for use on Windows for my research. The Book Library worked fine on XP and prior versions of Windows. I decided to use it on my Mac when I converted over to the Mac.
    My Book Library worked fine under v8. When v9 came out I upgraded, only to find my Book Library would now longer work. It fell over during install.
    I wrote to Parallels for help and no one replied. I spent hour trawling the internet looking for a fix, only to find that no fix cured my problem. So when v10 was released, on 21 September 2014, I updated in the reasonable belief that my problem (having now purchased two updates0 would be resolved. Sadly it made no difference. The install of my Book Library application specifically for my research still fell over on install.
    So I then decided to revert back to v8 which I know to be compatible to my Book Library system, but on trying, my install of the Book Library still fell over.
    All I want to do is clean my Mac and eradicate all references to Parallels, and find a clean copy of v8 to re-install.
    I feel let down by Parallels. Can anyone help me please?

2. Argelian

Argelian Member

I'm a bit confused here. Does this Personal Book Library run in a windows environment? I don't see how the version of Parallels messed up your Personal Book Library application when its meant to run in a windows guest OS.

3. GordonS

GordonS Bit poster

I originally wrote the Book Library System for Windows 98 for my research. It is a comprehensive piece of software that can be used for books, photographs, maps, and many other things. It worked well on Windows 98 through to XP. I haven't tried it on Windows operating systems that came after XP. I purchased a Mac and have since moved all of my research over to the Mac. I looked for a Windows emulator that I could use on my Mac to enable me to use my Book Library System. Consequently I purchased Parallels version 8. My book Library System ran fine, and I was very pleased. When Parallels 9 came out I decided to keep up to date and purchased an update. I suddenly found that my Book Library System would not work. I searched the net looking for a solution but everything I tried still would not let me use my Book Library System. I wrote to Parallels and never heard anything back, so I kept searching the net for a fix. When Parallels v10 came out I took a chance that the update would help with my situation, so I purchased Parallels v10, but all to no avail.
    When I install the Book Library System the install falls over, and I I receive the following Application Error :-
    "ISINST30 caused a General Protection Fault in module WIN87EM.DLL at 0001:0291 - Choose close ISINST30 will close"
    As I say, my Book Library System worked fine under Parallels v8, but when I updated to Parallels v9 and and Parallels v10 my Book Library System would not work.
    I only use Parallels to run my Book Library System on my Mac and nothing else.
    Thankyou Argelian. Any help would be genuinely appreciated.

4. Argelian

Argelian Member

If this is the software that you coded yourself, then I'm afraid that Parallels might not be able to provide a lot of support in this case. They will do what they can, however, there is no need to reinstall software or the VM as the underlying emulated hardware never changes.

In the mean time, http://kb.parallels.com/ca/114624 is a link to uninstall Parallels and reinstall v8. This might give you some insight http://kb.parallels.com/en/9087

5. GordonS

GordonS Bit poster

A genuine thank you for your help and advice. It was software that I coded myself. I couldn't work out when my program would work with v8 and the wouldn't work with v9. I am very grateful that you have given me a link to uninstall Parallels and reinstall version. Thank you again. Gordon

6. mmika

mmika Pro

GordonS, could you follow to "Menu->Report a Problem..." when you encountered this error?
    And, please, post its ID here.
    Thank you.

7. sebus

sebus Bit poster

How about you move this old code to something more recent?

But Parallels should fix it (as both Vmware & Virtual box already did)

Read this

sebus