New Mac, Now parallels is running things slow

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by keith_feldhaus, Nov 22, 2014.

1. keith_feldhaus

keith_feldhaus Bit poster

So i just purchased a new mac book pro. I upgraded from my old one to a newer and faster MBP, 2.8GHz i7 chip, 16GB ram, and 1T of hard drive space. My older mac was about half of that with only 8GB of ram, but it ran parallels just fine. I use it for autodesk Inventor and it worked flawlessly. But now after i upgraded to a MBP that is twice as fast. My inventor program is lagging in parallels. I set it so it is using 8GB of ram, 8 CPUs, faster virtual machine, tune windows for speed and on performance mode. But, it is not. I really figured with this mac it would run super fast. I do notice that when i have parallels running my mac is using nearly all available memory. Usually around 14Gb.. Not sure if this is normal or not. Only had the machine for about a week, it has Yosemite 10.10 and the latest parallels.

is there anything i can do or try?? This doesn't make any sense to me what so ever. Why would my slower, less advanced computer run things better than my new, high performance one....??

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi keith_feldhaus,
    I would suggest you to reduce the number of CPU's you have assigned to your Virtual Machine to 2 CPU's. Since it's a Virtual Machine, it will use the Mac resources so the speed of your Mac will be reduced if you assign 8 CPU's. Also assigning 2GB to 4GB of RAM would be fine enough to run your Virtual Machine faster.
    1) Follow the steps provided in this link: http://kb.parallels.com/112091 to improve virtual machine performance on your Mac.
    2) Also please follow the steps mentioned in this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122767 as your Virtual Machine is extremely slow after the upgrade to Parallels desktop 10 and Yosemite.
    Please let us know if you have any questions.