PD10 plus iMac 5K not working very well

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Fredrik_Melin, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Fredrik_Melin

Fredrik_Melin Bit poster

Hi

Are there any updates available soon for the PD10 for iMac 5K, Scaling and resolution does not work very well in many applications, stuff get silly small.

See the pictures attached, see the event viewer, you can actually read it since the resolution is so high, but you need a fricking microscope to do so :)
    The whole event viewer spans about 5cm on the screen in this case on the 27 inch iMac..

Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 09.51.32.png

(low res picture of whole screen to see how small it gets, could not upload fullsize as it's too big)

Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 09.51.39.png

In this case I show RDP but even internet explorer and other stuff scales wrong in some cases.

2. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

3. Fredrik_Melin

Fredrik_Melin Bit poster

Hi, That does not work unfortunately, it only works for some texts and those are OK, the ones I talk about are not (like RDP sample above), same with many other apps.

(I have a retina Macbook Pro and that works, but the 5K does not)

Do you have any BETA Program one could sign up to, then I can help with testing.

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

Many older and even some newer Windows apps don't support font scaling to accommodate for high DPI. There is nothing Parallels can do about those individual applications. However, Parallels Desktop has an option to disable retina resolution for the entire VM (up-scale to retina resolution).
    High DPI support in MS RDP is even more complicated because it's dealing with remote system with its own settings. Stock RDP client in Windows 7 doesn't support scaling, but you can try this connection manager http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44989 Connection properties has an option to scale remote view to fit client window size.
    Also, Windows 8.1 brought several improvements to RDP http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2013/12/16/resolution-and-scaling-level-updates-in-rdp-8-1.aspx. If you're connecting to 8.1 hosts you need to use an updated client.

5. Fredrik_Melin

Fredrik_Melin Bit poster

Sorry, but I do not really buy that, we are talking about IE for sample as "other app which looks bad" (some icons and stuff) but it works on my Retina MBP which means it's parallels and not the app itself.