Parallels 10 blue screen of death during Win XP install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Scott_Eklund, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Scott_Eklund

Scott_Eklund Bit poster

I am performing a clean install on my mac (new OS, 10.8 and new hard drive). I took this opportunity to upgrade several pieces of software, Parallels for one. I purchased the version 10 upgrade and am doing a new install.

Macbook Pro 17, early 2011: 16GB ram, 2.3GHz i7
    Parallels 10 (no previous parallels on this machine, everything clean and new after new HD install)
    Win XP, early version.

I attached the blue screen of death screenshot. It happens after the first "boot" into WinXP and it is still installing stuff. It is during the device driver installations that it freaks.

I have restarted the machine a couple of times, a total of three install attempts all result exactly the same at the same time.

Attached Files:

2. Scott_Eklund

Scott_Eklund Bit poster

Update: I have discovered KB 113964 and KB 6873 dealing with the blue screen of death and the message " ".

The two causes are multiple CPU's (which I do not have) or Paragon software, which I did have. I uninstalled the software as directed, however there seems to be no difference. The specific software I had and uninstalled is Paragon NTFS for Mac V12.

So while the general problem appears to be known, this specific instance does not appear to have a solution?

3. Jcottone

Jcottone Bit poster

Scott, were you able to figure out a resolution to the installation of XP in to Parallels 10?

4. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Scott and Jcottone,

Please go to Virtual Machine configure (http://kb.parallels.com/117287) -> Hardware tab -> Cpu & Memory -> change the CPU to '1' and change the RAM memory to '512'MB.
    Now you should be able to install Windows XP successfully.