Not so splendid isolation?!

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Kent_Boortz, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Kent_Boortz

Kent_Boortz Junior Member

I run a OS X 10.8.5 guest on top of OS X 10.8.5. Works amazingly well, so far it feels like running directly on the hardware. I use Parallels Desktop 10.

I want my VM to be fairly isolated, at most sharing a special folder between host and guest and be able to do copy/paste of text. The option "Actions -> Configure.. -> Security tab -> Integration: -> Isolate Mac from virtual machine" then creates a bit too much isolation as copy/paste will not work between host and guest.

So I then disable the complete isolation and go to "Actions -> Configure.. -> Options -> Sharing" and set "Share Folders: None" and "Custom Folders:" to a special controlled folder. So far so good, the folder turns up in "/Volumes/SharedFolders/".

But in addition in "/Volumes/SharedFolders/" I also have the folders "Dropbox", "Google Drive" and "iCloud", things I don't want shared. Note that I haven't installed those in the Guest OS. I tried disable "SmartMount" but it makes no difference.

So do you know how I can keep copy/paste and maybe a shared folder without also sharing "Dropbox", "Google Drive" and "iCloud"? Is this a bug, should disabling "SmartMount" prevent them from being mounted in the Guest?

Thankful for any insight on this.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

In that Sharing pane, don't you have the option: "Shared Cloud: Share iCloud, Dropbox..."?

3. Kent_Boortz

No, it looks like this Sharing.png

4. StanislavZ

StanislavZ Hunter

You can work it around this way:
    1. Stop VM
    2. In VM configuration, on General page change OS type to Windows (Windows 10 for example)
    3. On Options tab, uncheck Sharing - "Share iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive"
    4. Change OS type back to Mac OS X.

5. Kent_Boortz

You are a genius, worked, thanks!!!!! :)