In Parallels 10.6 Server Can't See Anything on my Hard Drive or My External Drive

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by David_Levenstam, Nov 27, 2014.

1. David_Levenstam

David_Levenstam Bit poster

I had to upgrade for work from 10.6 to 10.8, and to avoid losing access to a PPC application I use regularly, I installed Parallels 10 and then 10.6 Server in Parallels. I'm having two problems:

1. In 10.6 Server I can't access anything on my iMac that I don't drag and copy individually. The Shared Folders contains one folder, called Home, that contains items like the Applications folder. All the folders in the Shared Folders have a red sign on them and when I try to open one it says that I do not have permission to access the folder.

2. My external hard drive disappears from my 10.8 desktop when I have 10.6 going, but doesn't appear on the 10.6 desktop. As long as 10.6 server is running, Time Machine can't see my external hard drive to back up my internal hard drive. The first time I plugged in my external drive 10.6 Server or Parallels prompted me to do something, but I didn't do it since I didn't know what it meant. Later when I attached a zip drive to copy my PPC application to 10.6 Server, the same prompt appeared and it allowed 10.6 Server to recognize the zip drive, so apparently I should have done the same thing with my external drive, but if I unplug and replug it, 10.6 Server doesn't give me the prompt again and I don't know how to make it come back, but I'd guess that that's what I need to do to make my external drive appear again. Right now, so long as I'm running 10.6 Server, my external drive disappears from the 10.8 desktop and Time Machine doesn't see it so it can't do the regular backups.