PD10 Mouse lag

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KrisMcC, Aug 21, 2014.

1. KrisMcC

KrisMcC Bit poster

Just upgraded to 10 from 9 (as part of the August upgrade program) and I've noticed a little niggle regarding the mouse. The machine appears speedy enough with regard to responsiveness of boot/programs/typing.

However, when I move the mouse, (the speed is perfect and responsive) theres a lag between the mouse moving over things/dragging a window/ click'n'drag highlights/ and them lighting up and moving, its like they are in slow motion and a few ms behind the input. I have tried all the mouse options in the configure pane (things like smooth mouse produces crazy behaviour) to no avail. As I say, the muse speed is perfect, its just the context behaviours it seems to lag on.

On the Windows side its set up with 3 CPUs / 8000MB RAM / 1024MB VRAM / Win8.1

On the Mac side its 10.9.4

Mac is a New Mac Pro 6-Core / 16GB / D700 FirePros / Cyborg R.A.T 7 Contagion USB Mouse

Now, when i change to an old Microsoft USB Mouse (intelimouse optical: the original circa ~yr2000) the mouse speed obviously decreases but so does the lag in the VM. I'm used to turbo speeds (i have the RAT at around 2500DPi) but in Parallels 9, the lag wasn't present on the RAT! Has something changed in the way it handles the mouse?

2. goutcalt

goutcalt Bit poster

I am having the same problem, mouse lag after upgrading from 9 to 10. Just like the OP, system speed, mouse speed/smoothness are fine. The mouse actions are just delayed. I find that clicking on buttons is very frustrating in PD10. I click on the button and then move the mouse. By the time the click registers, the mouse is somewhere else and the click goes to whatever control the mouse is over now. I have also tried changing the mouse settings to optimize for games, which makes the mouse cursor uncontrollably jerky.

I'm running on a MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Late 2013 running 10.9.4, 16GB.
    Windows is 6 CPU, 8GB, 1GB video, Windows 7.

3. mooreaa

mooreaa Bit poster

Had this same issue on a MBPR. Got on support and did not get much useful support. They tried reducing # of cores and to also reinstall parallels mouse drivers, but that did not solve the issue.

I finally got to the bottom of this on my system by uninstalling USB Overdrive and SmoothMouse. They seemed to be interfering with the mouse drivers. I am still running Karabiner which helps my windows/mac integration and doesn't appear to affect how the mouse works.

I would be inclined to try reinstalling USB Overdrive or SmoothMouse again and see if the problem returns.

4. Frederick_Florizoone

Frederick_Florizoone Bit poster

Same problem. Anybody having a solution for this yet?

5. Ray_Powell

Ray_Powell Bit poster

Same problem here! PLEASE HELP!!!

6. NickT1

NickT1 Bit poster

Same here. Mightily annoyed to have paid for an upgrade to find that - not only were the niggles I had in version 9 not addressed - but it is actually worse than 9 from an input lag perspective. It is awful, quite frankly. Affecting both mouse and keyboard input for me.
    Frankly, I'm pretty annoyed about how Parallels is dealing with version upgrades. Yes, version 9 "supports" Yosemite, but it is abundantly clear that the level of support for Yosemite is half-baked at best. Forcing users to pay to stay compatible with OS X upgrades looks like price gouging to me. Not a good way to treat loyal customers; too much more of this, and it becomes easy to choose an alternative product.

7. NickT1

NickT1 Bit poster

To add to this... on other posts, I found that people were reporting that turning off "mouse smooth scroll" and reducing number of CPUs to 1 fixed the issue. I did this, and found that the problem went away... but only for a while. Back again now.

I wonder whether the reason it improved was actually just related to restarting the VM.

This is incredibly annoying. Also very disappointing that Parallels are not commenting / responding.

Nick

8. Gilles_St-Onge

Gilles_St-Onge Bit poster

Me is kind of different... The magic mouse go so fast when I slide on the back of it...
    Another problem is some time it loose the click for a fraction of second, and get it back... so when I try to select a paragraph for example... some time I need 2 or 3 try to be able to get it all...

It is Crazy this mouse... I start to think to change ma Lovely Mac for a Win Pc...

Gilles St-Onge

9. redger

redger Bit poster

Chiming in... this is still happening in March of 2015!

10. NickT1

NickT1 Bit poster

Agree - still happening to me - very frustrated and simply not good enough.
    The workaround I've figured out is to quit Parallels and start it up again - usually clears the issue for a while. Don't need to restart Windows VM.
    This never happened on the last version. I don't understand why nothing is happening to resolve it.

11. HunterP

HunterP Bit poster

The same is happening to me. Very Frustrating user experience!

Anything that needs a click-and-drag now requires two or three retries to get right. This mouse lag renders the product borderline unusable for my work. This is a big step backwards.

12. padmanb

padmanb Bit poster

13. HunterP

HunterP Bit poster

Thank you for your suggestion, padmanb.
    Unfortunately I already had the recommended setting and have already reinstalled parallels tools multiple times. The mouse lag persists.
    The only suggestion thus far that impacts the behavior is quitting parallels and relaunching (or in my case, force quitting b/c parallels 10 rarely manages to exit gracefully its own). The unacceptable mouse lag will generally return within a hour or two.

14. NathanA1

NathanA1 Bit poster

I just purchased a 2014 MacBook Pro 15" with Retina for my software development machine. This laptop is a beast and should exhibit absolutely no performance issues while running VMs. I am in the process of trialling Parallels 10. Unfortunately, I must join with all the others here who experience mouse lag. It's very, very noticeable and makes text selection in Visual Studio especially tricky. I find that Parallels is causing me to select the wrong text, none at all, or accidentally move blocks of text. It seems that Windows isn't even receiving mouse messages from the VM software. It will occasionally not detect that I've pressed a button at all.

I bought this MacBook Pro to replace a faulty Dell Precision M4800--also a beast of a machine--and so far I'm underwhelmed with how Parallels compares to Hyper-V. Even on underpowered hardware, I have yet to experience input lag issues with Hyper-V. To be fair, it is difficult for us end-users to know if this is the fault of the underlying OS or the Parallels software itself; however, I can't believe that Parallels developers haven't experienced the same issues.

Some communication on this issue would be great. I have 11 days left in my trial, and if I continue to experience this mouse lag problem, I will be forced to evaluate VMware Fusion, or simply get my Dell replaced.

15. BobB1

BobB1 Bit poster

Just dropping in to say that I'm having this issue as well. Nothing has helped.

16. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,
    Please submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, so that we can check and assist you better on this issue.

17. DaveB1

DaveB1 Bit poster

Submitted - I dragged a window around a bit and saw it skipping then clicked the report issue option.

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi DaveB1,
    Please try re-installing Parallels Tools, refer http://kb.parallels.com/4841 and check how it works.

19. DaveB1

DaveB1 Bit poster

That did not resolve the problem - still behaves the same way with the same issue.