DirectX question for Parallels 10/Windows 8.1 on OS 10.10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by happycadaver, Nov 27, 2014.

1. happycadaver

happycadaver Bit poster

Hello forum!
    Yesterday i upgraded from Parallels 9 to Parallels 10 and installed Windows 8.1 as a VM. I have a late 2012 27" iMac with maxed out specs btw..
    After some configuration steps (setting up resolution, fullscreen mode, mouse speed etc.) i installed "The Lord Of The Rings Online" and tried to update it. The game then asked me to install DirectX 9 first, which i allowed (this standard security popup from Windows). Problem is, that the launcher just quits after this and nothing happens. I looked up the settings of the my graphics card in Parallels and it is optimised for gaming, DirectX 10 is enabled, but greyed out and not changeable. Could this be the reason that the installation of DirectX 9 is failing?
    The other thing is related to the game. LOTRO does support DirectX 10, so i don't understand why it even tries to install DirectX 9. I have asked this question also in their support forum, because it is more game related. But maybe you have also the answer for this.
    Thank you!
    (I haven't used Parallels for some time and i'm a little rusty i think.)

2. happycadaver

happycadaver Bit poster

DirectX 10 doesn't work with LOTRO under Parallels. I switched back to Win 7 and Directx 9, there are no issues at all.