1 time purchase question

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by williamc40, Mar 18, 2024.

1. williamc40

williamc40 Bit poster

Hi, I have been using Parallels trial for my M1 MacBook Air. It's fantastic at running Windows and I'd like to purchase but just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right. So if I'm running the trial I can just go to "upgrade" then click on standard version.. then I see the nonsubcription 1 time purchase option I plan on buying that which is currently around $60. The only thing I'm confused about is how it's under the Upgrade option...does this mean just an upgrade from the trial? or is there a standard version I have to buy first?
    thanks!

2. Nischay Gaya

Nischay Gaya Staff Member

Best Answer
    Hello @williamc40,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding the purchase of Parallels Desktop for your M1 MacBook Air.

After the trial period, you will need to purchase a new full license for Parallels Desktop, rather than an upgrade. The "Upgrade" option is specifically for users who already own a Parallels Desktop license and wish to upgrade to a different edition or version.

The upgrade license is designed for users who already have a Standard Edition license and want to upgrade to the Pro version, or for those who want to upgrade from a previous version (e.g., version 17) to the latest version (e.g., version 19).

For your situation, since you are currently using the trial version, you will need to purchase a new full license, not an upgrade.

Please note that the one-time purchase option for the Standard Edition provides you with a permanent license, rather than a subscription-based license. There are differences between one-time purchase and subscription-based licenses in terms of future upgrades and support options. You can find more details on these differences in our Knowledge Base article here: https://kb.parallels.com/en/115399

If you have any further questions or need assistance with your purchase, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

3. johnh86

johnh86 Bit poster

Yes you can simply go to upgrade option in the trial version of Parallels and select the non subscription one time purchase option to get full standard version.

4. williamc40

williamc40 Bit poster

Sorry.. this is still confusing me . So when I purchase and it costs me $99 for the license for standard or $119 for pro , these are purchases for a license as well as the first year subscription? When would I decide on whether I want to go with the 1 time fee or subscription? Would it be when my 1 year subscription is getting close to renewal?
    thanks