VM Unusable after upgrade to macOS 14.4

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DaveInToronto, Mar 15, 2024.

1. DaveInToronto

DaveInToronto Bit poster

Intel macOS host: 14.4
    macOS guest: 14.2.1
    Parallels: 19.3.0
    Updated Parallels Tools.

Everything working fine.

After updating the macOS guest to macOS 14.4, the login screen works, but after login, the mouse and keyboard no longer work and thus the VM is usuable. The mouse cursor does not even appear.

Interestingly, I have remote access to the VM, so I can connect to it from the host machine via Apple Remote Desktop, and the VM is functional, not frozen or anything.

I've restored the VM from backup and reproduced this repeatedly.

2. Trishna Oobeyram

Trishna Oobeyram Staff Member

Hello,
    In order to investigate further, could you perform the following:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID
    Regards,

3. DaveInToronto

DaveInToronto Bit poster

Note: This is likely related to issues in macOS 14.4. Others are reporting USB devices (mouse/keyboard) stop working in macOS 14.4, regardless of whether they're a VM or not. See: https://mjtsai.com/blog/2024/03/07/macos-14-4/

4. DaveInToronto

DaveInToronto Bit poster

Just attempted to upgrade to the newly released macOS 14.4.1 (from 14.2.1, skipping 14.4 since that was unusable).

14.4.1 did not fix the issue. The VM is still unusable directly (remote desktop still works, but obviously that's not a solution).

@Trishna Oobeyram : I did the `Send Report` task you mentioned above, first, before I did the upgrade, (see report #455057754), and then again after the upgrade (see report #455064023). Hopefully there's something useful in there for you. For now, I'll revert back to 14.2.1.

Thanks.