Deleted user in Windows 11 logon screen

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RamonC, Nov 26, 2023.

1. RamonC

RamonC Bit poster

Hi,
    I'm a proud Parallels user since 2015. I'm experiencing now a problem I hadn't known before. TBH, I'm not sure if it's a Parallels or a Windows issue.

My computer is a late 2013 Mac 21.5", upgraded to 16 GB of RAM, running with OS Catalina 10.15.7. The Parallels version is 18.3.2 and the VM OS is Windows 11 Pro, 23H2. AFAIK, all three (Mac OS, Parallels and Windows) are the latest available versions which are compatible with my computer.

Due to some unrelated problems with the Mac, I had to reinstall Parallels (and the Windows 11 with goes with) some days ago. I installed it on the Mac under my username wscc (edited name), with what Parallels created a local user in Windows with the same name. I logged in Windows under this local user, created my work or school account user, closed the local user wscc session and logged in again under the work or school name. Then I proceeded to delete the original local user wscc, so the only user should be now the work or school account.

Thing is, when I start Windows from Parallels, I get this screen.
    [​IMG]
    The message says "Username or password are not correct, try again"
    So, I have two comments:
    1) Parallels (or Windows?) seem to have tried to self-log in in the wscc local account. Is there a way to avoid that, be it though Parallels configuration or through the Windows registry?
    2) The account in which Windows in trying to log in has been deleted. Does any leftover remain in the system? How can I remove it?

Then, clicking on "Accept", we go to the second screen:
    [​IMG]
    So, now Windows allows us to choose between the correct worker school account and the deleted local wscc account. Why is the local account still there if has been deleted?

If we select the work or school account, we get the third screen:
    [​IMG]
    Then, I introduce the password of the work or school account and everything goes fine, Windows 11 starts and everything works ok. Notice than in this third screen, there is a choice between the work or school account and "Another user", the deleted wscc local account has now disappeared.

My question is: why is there this remaining wscc user at the logon at screens one and two if this account had been removed? How can I get rid of it and have a normal logon process?

Thank you for your help.

Damm likes this.
  2. Damm

Damm Bit poster

Best Answer
    Same problem going on here.
    I do not have another user on Windows anymore. I deleted it but somehow it is still showing up on the logon screen...

Did you sort it out?

3. RamonC

RamonC Bit poster

Nope, no solution yet. Coping with it.

4. Damm

Damm Bit poster

There you go:

1. Open Parallels Desktop and Launch your Windows Virtual Machine.

2. Click on the Windows Start Icon > Type Regedit and press enter.

3. Navigate to the following Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

4. Make sure you selected the Winlogon folder and on the right panel, please search for DefaultUserName and delete it (Right-click select delete)

5. Restart your Virtual Machine and it should no more show the deleted profile anymore.

5. RamonC

RamonC Bit poster

It worked!!!

Thanks a lot.