[FIXED in 19.2.0] Virtual Machine Unusable after upgrade to Sonoma

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by StephenD5, Sep 28, 2023.

1. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

BTW, I am using the latest version of Parallels Desktop 19 for Mac, Pro Edition,
    Version 19.0.0 (54570)

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi Michael,
    Would you collect a technical report at the moment of the issue reproduction, please? And post its ID here, please?
    What steps have you take to replicate it - just upgraded macOS to macOS Sonoma?

3. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

Impossible to do...turns out, my VM HD was reduced from multi GB size to 14,512 bytes in size...unfortunately, my backups don't go past where it got truncated.

4. Mikhail Ushakov

I suppose the virtual hard drive lacks the main .hdd file. We'll open a ticket for you to try fixing that.

5. LucaC11

LucaC11 Bit poster

Hi guys,
    I'm experiencing the same issue on my MacBook Pro 14 M1 Pro on Windows 11.
    Blu screen and most program not work properly (in particular with Visual Studio 2022).
    id:4349304

6. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi @LucaC11 , your case is identical to others who have kept the virtual machine on an external exfat drive and upgraded to macOS Sonoma. I've sent all the details about your case to our Engineering team.
    Could you check if moving the .pvm file of your virtual machine to the internal (Mac) drive helps? Just try to shut down your virtual machine (Actions > Shut down or if it doesn't work Actions > Stop) and move the .pvm file of the virtual machine to the internal drive (currently, your virtual machine is on the external drive).
    Moreover, what's the read/write speed of the external drive? You can run some benchmarks in a loop that trigger disk usage and share the results with us.
    One of the potential reasons that might cause it is changes made in macOS Sonoma (we're still investigating and can't confirm it for sure):
    • The implementations of the exfat and msdos file systems on macOS have changed; these file systems are now provided by services running in user-space instead of by kernel extensions. If the application has explicit checks or support for either the exfat or msdos file systems, validate the applications with those file systems and report any issues. (110421802)

7. LucaC11

LucaC11 Bit poster

Hi Mikhail.
    I've move the VM on the internal SSD and seem working fine.
    I wait the solution to wrok on the external SSD.

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  8. LucaR7

LucaR7 Bit poster

Hi, I am using Parallels 19 (19.1.0 54729 , Pro Edition) on my 2 computers, a Mac Studio (Apple Silicon M2 Ultra chip) and a MacBook Pro 2019 (Intel i9 chip). I installed 2 different VMs, both with Visual Studio and SQL Server (the one on Apple Silicon is a Win11 , the other one is a Win10, same SQL Server version and with the proper Visual Studio installation , ARM and Intel);
    on an external drive (APFS formatted, Mac SSD NVMe.2, Thunderbolt 3/4) I created an external .hdd image with the SQL databases (.mdf and .ldf files) and a few work folders which I map on both VMs as drive labeled G: , so SQL Server automatically attaches the db from the external drive, and I can work indifferently on my desktop when I am at home and on my laptop machines when I am at the customer's location.
    Unfortunately , although this was a good idea, I had to resort to every kind of backup as data corruption on drive G: (Windows) was so unpredictable.
    I had , in turn, .mdf files getting corrupted, folders on drive G corrupted, G: drive targeted as to be checked (reboot with chkdsk)
    Luckily, I had Time Machine + I always backup the SQL databases.
    Reading this thread, I started today working by copying the external .hdd image locally on the internal drive and mapping this one, and at the moment it seems to work without data corruption.
    So my 2 cents were:
    - I am also waiting for a fix, as this is annoying (and without a backup, VERY dangerous)
    - this problem applies also to an external drive formatted as APFS.

9. LucaC11

LucaC11 Bit poster

Hi @Mikhail,
    is there any news about this?
    The solution adopted cannot be final. I need the VM to be on an external disk.
    Thanks,

10. LucaC11

LucaC11 Bit poster

Hi @Mikhail Ushakov,
    is there any news about this?
    The solution adopted cannot be final. I need the VM to be on an external disk.
    Thanks,

11. Mikhail Ushakov

Best Answer
    Hello!
    The issue has been fixed in Parallels Desktop 19.2.0.

12. LucaC11

LucaC11 Bit poster

Hi @Mikhail Ushakov,
    the main problem seems solved (Crash of the machine), but unfortunately randomly I get the attached messages (sorry if they are in Italian).
    Something is still wrong, thanks.
    (I have sent a report ID: 446003145)

Attached Files:

13. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    Thank you for the provided information.
    We have created a case, and you will be contacted through email for further assistance.
    Thank you.

14. ChmM

ChmM Bit poster

Hi @Mikhail Ushakov,

I have a problem launching the Sonoma virtual machine in Parallels Desktop which is installed on a macOS Ventura (ARM) system.
    It asks for an update and when I launch the update, it fails.

Yours sincerely

15. Pramesh Boodadoo

Hello,
    For us to further investigate this issue, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

16. LucaC11

LucaC11 Bit poster

Hi @Mikhail Ushakov
    Unfortunately, I am again having problems with my virtual machine (very similar to what I had some time ago).
    WHEREAS, after the upgrade I recreated again my virtual machine directly on external SSD.
    However I continue to have continuous crashes (impossible to recover Windows 11) and randomly applications that do not work. I sent a report [453638074], with attachments.

Thank you very much

17. LucaC11

LucaC11 Bit poster

Sorry but I'm seeing a lot of problems accessing applications. It doesn't seem to be stable anymore... I will be forced to switch to another product

18. Pramesh Boodadoo

Hello,
    We have created a support case to assist you accordingly.
    You will shortly receive an email with further instructions.
    Thank you.