Disk full and cannot delete snapshots

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TJThom, Feb 3, 2012.

1. TJThom

TJThom Bit poster

I am new to Macs and just bought a MacBook Air in October. I am already pretty savvy with the mac and parallels running windows 7 on it. However, I now have an issue because my Windows 7 VM is taking up 50GB of my harddrive on my Mac, and I have little to no space left on my disk.

I've realized that while windows says that there is only 30GB on the "C drive" that really it is using 50+GB because parallels is saving snapshots of windows to optimize for TimeMachine.

However, now the issue is that there is so little space on my harddisk, that I can't even delete the snapshots to open up room. I get a message that says, "Not enough free space to merge snapshots. Free some disk space on the physical hard disk and try again."

I have a portable HD with 1TB, and I tried copying the VM to the portable drive and then deleting the snapshots, but it still said there wasn't enough space.

In short... does anyone have suggestions for how to save space on the VM. (Note, "compress" will not work since I have snapshots. And if you read above it wont let me delete them. :-/ Thanks!)

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

After you copying pvm file to the external drive did you delete the initial copy from the MacBook HD? I sugrest you to do it. you may also use the following KB http://kb.parallels.com/en/9165