Deleting files permanently on the Windows machine in Parallels 7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by totencough, Oct 4, 2011.

1. totencough

totencough Bit poster

Hey guys,

I have a problem. I've got Windows XP set up on my Parallels 7 VM and just added a 7.18GB folder for a game from the Desktop (shared with Mac) to C\Program Files. I wanted to delete this folder after a while, so I right clicked on it, clicked delete, and I received the normal message that the folder was too large to place in the Recycle Bin, so it requested to permanently delete. Since I didn't want it anymore, I accepted.

Windows went through the deletion process and was supposedly successful. However, while the files are completely gone from the folder and not in the Bin (as expected), my virtual machine is still 16GB when it was only 9GB before... I've tried restarting the machine, and even restarting my Mac, and nothing works. I've tried CCleaner, no change.

Has this happened to anyone else? Where is the file so I can eradicate it?

Thanks in advance!

2. CÃœNEYTO

CÃœNEYTO Member

Did you try Compress function of Parallels?

3. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

the virtual disk is an expanding disk. so say you start at 5gb, add a 2gb file then another 1 gb file. your virtual disk is going to be 8gb. you delete the 2gb file and you free up 2gb on the virtual disk but the actual file for the virtual disk is still 8gb. you add another 1gb file you won't see your virtual disk grow since it'll use part of the 2gb that was freed earlier.

short story, to "reclaim" the space you need to compress the virtual disk. eventually you'll use it up anyway so i don't see a big upside to compressing it unless you are really low on space on your mac.

the file you deleted from your virtual machine is deleted, the space is free to write to in the virtual machine...

4. totencough

totencough Bit poster

Hat's off to you, mate. That did the trick! Thank you!

5. beckanh

beckanh Bit poster

Deleting files permanently

Hi...
    For deleting files from your computer permanently, you can use file eraser software. If you have deleted files by using this software, there is no way to recover them. This software supports both Windows and Mac operating system. You can download its demo version and check it before purchasing its full version.

6. AlbertJ

AlbertJ Bit poster

The in-built Delete option of MS Window does not permanently deletes the vital information from the computer systems. The deleted files got stored in Archive directories of local computers. If the computer system is connected with Internet, an external intruder can steal all the sensitive information from these Archive folders. The Kernel File Shredder consists of advanced data erasing algorithms that completely deletes the target files and their backups from the computer’s hard disk. To know more about tool visit: http://www.deletefile.org/