Yet another 5 problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DarrelK, Nov 4, 2009.

1. DarrelK

DarrelK Bit poster

Been running 4 for awhile now. Upgraded to 5 this evening and the upgrade went fine. Soon as i fired off my XP vm it sat there for awhile and then said

" Connection failed. The server at 192.168.1.103 may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection and the try again."

From there when you click ok it just thinks for a while longer and does it again and again and again. No way to get out of it unless you force a quit.

Everything was working so well in 4, I should have known better than to upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. DarrelK

DarrelK Bit poster

Anyone from Parallels listening? How about a refund until 5 actually works?

3. Joel Hassell

Joel Hassell Bit poster

Same exact problem

I just installed and am having the same problem.

4. SylvainD

SylvainD Bit poster

I have the exact same problem ... I even uninstall and reinstall version 5 .... Nothing to do ! So I reinstall version 4 and every thing works fine. BUT I LOST 70$ .....and one day to make it works .... And worst, I don't know how to get support because I don't have any ticket number ....

5. deltacon

deltacon Bit poster

Hi, I've exactly the same problem. In my case the shown ip is 192.168.0.73.

I know, this is an old server of one of my clients. Sometimes I was connected through vpn to the network of this client and the server's internal ip was 192.168.0.73.

Maybe this helps? But I'm sitting here now for about 40 Minutes, Parallels has beachball running and this window pops regularly telling me that the "server connection failed..."

6. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Hi,

Don't panic, we'll try to solve the problem.

First, please post a problem report and provide its number here. To post problem report go to Help->Report a Problem... It will greatly help us in investigating the problem.

Second, please provide more information on the issue. Maybe your Virtual Machine is located on network share? What kind of share? Any information will be helpful.

7. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Please try the following, may be ONE OF IT will help:
    1. Try to locate alias on unreachable network location (its IP you can see in the message) on your Desktop, Dock, "/Applications" and "~/Applications" folder. If found, delete it (or move in some other location).
    2. Try to disable "Show Windows applications Folder in Dock" option (Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> Show Windows applications Folder in Dock)
    3. Try to disable "Shared Applications" option (Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> [Share Windows applications with Mac OS X] and [Share Mac OS X applications with Windows])

If any of this will help, please note about it in this thread.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  8. deltacon

deltacon Bit poster

id of my problem report: 744920
    I tried all the mentioned solutions and it worked! I found an alias on the desktop to the old share. I'm trying now to enable the shared applications again, if this not successfull, I'll post it here!

9. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Thank you very much for your feedback! As I understand the problem, solution "1." is enough (if you have no problems finding all those aliases).
    p.s. I meant "try one of the solutions, then another", but not "try all of them at once" :) But I am glad it helped you.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009