Connecting to the internet using a Windows application with Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KristinA, Nov 23, 2009.

1. KristinA

KristinA Junior Member

I bought Parallels because I have to use a Windows application to connect to the internet. The application requires a username and password and has to do with charging you for internet use. I can connect to the internet when using Windows only in Boot Camp but I would love to be able to use the Mac side of things with the internet as well. The error messages the application gives me while in Parallels generally has to do with IP issues. I have Parallels 5 and Windows 7 running with regular Leopard. What should my settings be? I've tried fiddling with the bridged networking and followed some instructions for setting up a Windows modem, but as I'm not using a Windows modem those didn't apply. What should my settings be for using a Windows application to open up the internet in Parallels?

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

So, your network connection in Windows VM doesn't work?

Some more information is required:

1) What is exact error you receive?

2) Did I understand right that your provider allows to connect to internet from Windows only? What is the phisical layer of connection? Is it some USB device, AirPort, Ethernet or DSL?

3. KristinA

KristinA Junior Member

I'm currently living in China, so the program's error messages are in Chinese. Roughly translated, they seem to say "cannot connect" and "Gateway IP error."

The connection is via ethernet. Because Macs are a rarity in China, the school uses a Windows-only program to charge students and teachers for internet use. Before running this program you can connect to the local network but not to the internet. You have to enter your username and password into the Windows program and click "connect" - which is where I have problems in Parallels.

So, essentially, yes - I can only connect via Windows. But I had hoped that Parallels might let me connect via Windows while still being able to use the Mac applications.

The ethernet connection shows up as working in the Mac's system preferences, but until you run the Windows program you can't actually get to the internet.

I think the Windows VM needs to be the primary internet connection, but I don't know how to do this.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Tough..
    There are several possible ways. You are definitely need Bridged Networking. Do you have contact with network administrators?

So, put the VM to bridged networking (preferably not to a default adapter, but to the real ethernet interface) and start the VM.

1) Click Start -> Run -> cmd.exe and type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all". Post here the output

2) on Mac start /Application/Utilities/Terminal and execute command "ifconfig -a". Also post here the output

Then we'll be able to think about further actions

5. KristinA

KristinA Junior Member

Setting up bridged networking allowed me to access the internet via the VM. Thanks! Here's the Windows info:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . .
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . .:
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . .: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS suffix :
    Description: Parallels Ethernet Adapter #2
    Physical Address: 00-1C-42-C9-FA-2F
    DHCP Enabled: No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix:
    Description: Parallels Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address: 00-1C-42-B4-10-71
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::5dad:21fc:5fe3:2808%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address: 172.16.53.56(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained:Thursday, November 26, 2009 . . .
    Lease Expires: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 . . .
    Default Gateway: 172.16.53.254
    DHCP Server: 172.16.0.1
    DHCPv6 IAID: 234888258
    DHCPv6 CLient DUID: 00-01-00-01-12-96-B2-C1-00-1C-42-B4-10-71

DNS Servers: 202.97.224.68
    NetBIOS over Tcpip: Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap. {74D300EF-974F-4EAC-8B54-37CDC877E1FB}:

Media State: Media disconnected
    Connection specific DNS suffix:
    Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Teredo Pseudo-Interface:
    Description: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address: 2001:0:cf2e:3096:20d8:2fd4:53ef:cac7(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::20d8:2fd4:53ef:cac7%13(Preferred)
    Default Gateway: ::
    NetBIOS over Tccpip: Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A7C7AEAC-09B5-4A66-B1C3-2B9A34827C1A}:

Media State: Media disconnected
    Description: Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

The Mac Info:

Last login: Thu Nov 26 16:51:47 on ttys000
    bogon:~ kristinemily$ ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::225:ff:fe9f:e03e%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
    inet 172.16.53.42 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.16.53.255
    ether 00:25:00:9f:e0:3e
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>) status: active
    supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback>
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:25:00:3e:41:8b
    media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect
    vnic0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:8%vnic0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x6
    inet 169.254.65.104 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 169.254.255.255
    ether 00:1c:42:00:00:08
    media: autoselect status: active
    vnic1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:9%vnic1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
    inet 192.168.0.129 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    ether 00:1c:42:00:00:09
    media: autoselect status: active
    bogon:~ kristinemily$

I don't have any contact with the network admins. I'm really happy the VM is connecting, but I'd still love to use this internet connection with the Mac side of things.

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

You network environment is very democratic -) It's great that all works

Actually, it may be a tough task.. you can try http://kb.parallels.com/en/5557

notes:

1) For PD5 the Parallels Adapters are not shown in system preferences by default, but there is an option in http://kb.parallels.com/Attachments/5190/Images/a1.png
    to show it

2) In step 4 the first network adapter should be left Bridged

7. KristinA

KristinA Junior Member

I tried your suggestion, but still no luck getting the Mac side online. Any other things I could try?

8. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It should work... just configuration process is very comlicated and it is very easy to make a mistake.

Currently I have no ideas how to help to configure, but I'll reply if accidently I'll have any

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  9. KristinA

KristinA Junior Member

I've tried configuring it several times now, but whenever I have both network adapters connected, the program I have to use to get online won't connect to the internet even in Windows. It may just be a problem with the poorly written program that lets me sign into the internet here. I think I have things configured correctly.

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hm.. may be it is the problem

Ok.. let's review.. You have two metwork adapters in the VM, one is bridged (through which the VM connects to the Internet) and the other one is HostOnly. Is it so? If yes and in this configuration the authentication-program doesn't allow to connect to Inet, then the luck is out. But if not - please try this configuration.

11. AbbasZ

AbbasZ Bit poster

Ni Hao! (Hello) i am also having the same problem as KristinA. Yes i am also currently in China and using the internet which my university had gave me so i have to connect to the internet using a cheap build application where it asks for username and password.
    I can connect to the internet in Parallels Windows 7 but I also want to use it on the OSX Lion which i can not. Is there any possibility for it now as it has been quite a while for this issue... Just saying and i can also contact with network admins but i don't know what should I ask or tell them. Any ideas?

12. AbbasZ

AbbasZ Bit poster

Ni Hao! (Hello) i am also having the same problem as KristinA. Yes i am also currently in China and using the internet which my university had gave me so i have to connect to the internet using a cheap build application where it asks for username and password.
    I can connect to the internet in Parallels Windows 7 but I also want to use it on the OSX Lion which i can not. Is there any possibility for it now as it has been quite a while for this issue... Just saying and i can also contact with network admins but i don't know what should I ask or tell them. Any ideas?