Cannot click anything on desktop in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Reggie Byrum, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Reggie Byrum

Reggie Byrum Junior Member

I'm running Parallels Build 3844 on a MacBook Pro. I have Vista Business installed.

When I start up Parallels here are the issues:

1. I cannot click on anything on the desktop. The mouse moves, but nothing happens when I click on the Start Menu or any program shortcuts or anything on my desktop. I cannot do anything.

2. I noticed when Vista first starts up, I see a quick screen that says something about CPInterceptor. Anyone know what that is?

3. I can start in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking, but the internet in Parallels is showing no connection to the internet (I'm fine out of Parallels in just Mac mode).

4. I cannot go into Coherence mode. Error says something about my mouse.

5. I click on "Reinstalled Tools" but it does nothing. Doesn't matter how many times I tell it to reinstall - nothing ever happens and it never installs.

I'm like one major problem away from cutting my loses and removing Parallels entirely and installing Bootcamp. If it weren't for all the PC Programs I have installed in Vista I would have already done so.

Any suggestions?

2. Reggie Byrum

BTW. I can startup in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking and I do have an internet connection. And when I am in safe mode, I can access the Start Menu and everything seems to operate normally.

Problems above are when I try to start Vista normally. Only then do I see that "CPInterceptor" screeen just for a second, then I cannot click on anything, and no internet connection. Don't know if that "CPInterceptor" is related to my problems or not - just wanted to throw it out there.

3. Reggie Byrum

Can anybody help?

4. Reggie Byrum

I'm begging over here . . . anyone . . pleeeeese!

5. Reggie Byrum

Wow. I think I stumped the Parallels experts. . .

After flying blindly and turning off this and that in configuration, restarting, and swearing . . . following are my issues as they stand this moment:

1. I can now get into the Start menu, so I uninstalled Parallels Tools, restarted, and reinstalled Tools.

2. The internet connection icon in my task bar appears that I have internet connection, but when I open Explorer, it says web page (doesn't matter what I try, Yahoo, Google etc) cannot be found. I go into my Internet Connection and run a diagnostics and it is showing no problems with my internet connection. It says I am connected to the internet. For fun, I checked to make sure I wasn't working offline and I'm not. I can access the internet on the Mac side fine.

3. I notice that when I'm in Windows Vista and I hit "control-option" to release my mouse, when I come back to Windows and click on the desktop, nothing happens. It will not capture my mouse. I can click until my fingers bleed - and nothing happens.

4. If I then click "full screen", I lose my display setting (where it fits my screen) but I get my mouse back functional. then have to go into display settings again and set my monitor size back to what I had it before.

5. On occasion I get an error that says something like, "[C] Windows Vista could not be found (or something like that), and it gives me options of "keep trying", "eject" or "cancel" (I think).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6. MartinF

MartinF Bit poster

I have the same issue.
    As I do detect lot's of issues merged especially to the MBP, I suspect it has to do with MBP and not with Parallels.
    I could not see anything showing up.
    I did post a support-request.

Did you have in meentime any solution?

Thanks for any help out there

Martin from France near Strasbourg - western Europe - northern hemisphere (U.S. only)

7. DesertFalcon

DesertFalcon Junior Member

Try changing your video screen settings and see if it happens on 800 x 600 or something like that?
    Maybe your video drivers need to be reloaded in Windows?

Just a guess?

8. MartinF

MartinF Bit poster

@DesertFalcon,
    it did not work, but the idea was good.
    They (parallels) are trying to get access to my machine and want to fix it?
    Let's see what happens.

Thanks anyhow

9. OttoW

OttoW Bit poster

Can click, but only within Windows, and...

...can also not switch in coherence mode. Get an error message saying 'The service 'mouse synchronisation has not been started - please install parallel tools once again'. Doing so, nothing changes.

Using ctrl+alt I can exit the Windows window with the mouse, but as soon I click in the Windows window, the mouse is catched within Windows again. -- may be I need a cat! --

Starting Windows I always get a message saying 'new hardware detected' and Windows will install a 'Standard PC'! Doing so, Windows does not boot anymore, it completely hangs.

10. Grunkhead

Grunkhead Bit poster

Similar problem, but with XP and later build

I'm using XP with build 9308. Whenever it wakes from suspended mode, it ceases to work, down to the clock not synchronising. When I go for a restart, the culprit appears to be CPInterceptor. Bit of a PITA, this.

11. samx

samx Junior Member

same problem i have. updating to 5.0.9344 didn't fix it. is anyone at parallels looking into this issue?