The need for two Quadro FX 3800 cards for SLI MultiOS ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation Extreme Discussion' started by erikb5, Oct 22, 2009.

1. erikb5

erikb5 Bit poster

Hello all,

I fully understand that the three graphic cards that are supported by the Parallels Workstation Extreme 4.0 for the SLI MultiOS technology are the Quadro FX 3800, Quadro FX 4800 and the Quadro FX 5800.
    Because I cannot currently afford two Quadro FX 3800 cards, would a combination of a Quadro FX 580 as primary card for the Host OS and the Quadro FX 3800 for the VT-d/Guess OS presentation work ?

Thanks you,
    Erik

2. ThomasT

ThomasT Member

I do have a HP Z800, another high-end workstation, two FX 3800s, two FX 4800s and a plain GeForce 8800GTS 512 (G92).
    It may take a few days but I will test to combine the desktop card with one or two of the mentioned quadros. Just let me know if this information would be helpful.

3. ThomasT

ThomasT Member

Sorry for the doublepost, but it's worth it:

It is possible to combine a 8800GTS 512 and a FX 3800. You have to get the order right: The 8800GTS 512 has to be the card for the HOST. The FX 3800 can be assigned to the VM.
    I tested it today.

If you look carefully at the promotion video of parallels workstation you will see that the test machine that is shown in the video has a FX 4800 and a different video card as well.

See yourself: http://www.parallels.com/de/products/extreme/pwe_tutorial-en_US/
    Time index 1:04 -> In the device manager you can see two grafics cards: 9800GT + FX 4800!

This may not be officially supported, but the Video shows it and I confirmed it with a 8800GTS 512 (G92) + FX 3800 on a HP Z800.

4. erikb5

erikb5 Bit poster

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot for your testing Thomas. It makes a big difference to me.

Erik

5. orenouard

orenouard Bit poster

Hi,

I've been able to use a Geforce (480) for a CentOs host and assign a Quadro (4000) to a Windows 7 VM.

So it is possible to mix these cards as long as the one passed to VMs is a Quadro. From what I understand there is a problem with how Geforce cards map their memory as opposed to Quadros (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthrough)

Howver strangely I've been unable to do the opposite, use the Geforce on a windows 7 host and pass the Quadro to a CentOs VM. Starting the VM freezes the host. I think it might be because the Linux drivers are the same for Geforce and Quadros, whereas the Windows ones are different. That's too bad because I was more interested in the second setup...

6. O.Renouard

O.Renouard Bit poster

CentOs host = ok, Windows7 host = not

No, didn't have any luck yet. Works on CentOs host with a Qeforce on host and Quadro 4000 dedicated to Windows 7 VM, can't manage to get the opposite to work.