Copy and Paste

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by echuck, Mar 31, 2011.

1. echuck

echuck Junior Member

Is copy-and-paste supposed to work between the host and guest?

I have a Mac OS X host (10.6.7) and a Mac OS X Server guest (10.6.7). Both systems have all updates. The guest is freshly installed and has Parallels Tools running, which is successful for other things like window/resolution resizing.

I'm running Parallels 6.0.11994.

2. GrahamR

GrahamR Bit poster

Same problem

Hi,

Upgraded to SL, also running 10.6.7, with Win XP updated. When I upgraded to SL, copy/paste broke - it's maddening, time wasting, etc.

G

3. ioioi

ioioi Bit poster

Depending on how you have it setup sometimes it's ^C on the Windows side and ⌘C on the Mac side.

4. GrahamR

GrahamR Bit poster

Thanks for the thought. I should have been clear. When copy/paste stops working, it doesn't matter how I try to do it - with the mouse, cmd-c/v or ctrl-c/v. Using the mouse right click seems to be the most reliable way to do it, but even that sometimes simply stops working. I will select text, copy it, go to the next window/field to paste it, and 'Paste' is grayed out.

5. ioioi

ioioi Bit poster

That's happened to me using many different applications on both Win/Mac, and to be quite honest it doesn't make much sense. I'm not sure what causes that to happen (i'm guessing something with memory allocation). It's definitely annoying when you start having to sneakernet all day. I hope you, me or someone else will eventually find a solution — for all of us.

~ Regards

6. ioioi

ioioi Bit poster

I read on another forum that the following worked to resolve the issue:

① → Configure > Features > Services
    ② → uncheck share clipboard
    ③ → click ok
    ④ → close parallels [the configuration will be saved]
    ⑤ → open parallels again and re-select share clipboard

[other notes]:

⟐ .NET 3.5 installed on the Windows VM can break copy/paste
    ⟐ Disable "Isolate Mac from Windows" in Security > Configure > Options [then reboot] ↩
    ⟐ Repair permissions on your Mac with Disk Utility monthly

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  7. GrahamR

GrahamR Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion - tried this and it was not effective.

8. inets

inets Bit poster

But after all i did get that

9. maestro.mark

maestro.mark Bit poster

Yay!

Worked for me...thanks a mil!

10. TayS

TayS Bit poster

I am on Mac OS X 10.6.8 running Windows 7 in Parallels 6.0. The bidirectional shared clipboard works only very rarely. The solutions posted on this page did not restore shared clipboard functionality. This is extremely disruptive to my workflow as I require frequent transfer of textual content between applications on each OS. Does anyone know of any other solutions?