Lion + Parallels 6 unable to connect USB

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by nferran, Jul 21, 2011.

1. nferran

nferran Bit poster

Since upgrading to Lion and upgrading to Parallels 6 I am unable to connect my usb devices to the virtual machine despite the setting on parallels.

Anyone having this problem?

Any solution?

I am on a 2010 Macbook pro 13".

had snow leopard and Parallels 5 and windows 7.

Upgraded to Lion.

Forced to upgrade to parallels 6.

Now no USB is correctly connecting to the virtual machine. They are being grabbed by the Mac.

Can be seen through windows explorer as a networked drive.

I have two encrypted USB devices one is a Sandisk cruzer professional. Its software will not run as it says it needs to be run off a usb drive and not a networked drive.

This was my who reason for using parallels in the past and it always worked until I upgraded 2 days ago.

When you look in the windows device manager USB mass storage device has a warning saying could not be loaded. This is the same for all usb devices tried so far encrypted and not.

And this happens no matter what USB setting in parallels, tried connect directly to VM, and tried the ask me option.

Same result always grabbed by the mac.

I have found no advice for this elsewhere.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

Details on the machine you are using and which devices do not
    work would help. Also, which OSes are your VMs using.

My 2011 Macbook Pro 13" i7 has not had any issues. USB sticks
    connect just fine. My Link Instruments USB oscilloscope works
    fine along with some other programming hardware. This is on
    a Windows 7 32 bit OS.

3. nferran

nferran Bit poster

I am on a 2010 Macbook pro 13".

had snow leopard and Parallels 5 and windows 7.

Upgraded to Lion.

Forced to upgrade to parallels 6.

Now no USB is correctly connecting to the virtual machine. They are being grabbed by the Mac.

Can be seen through windows explorer as a networked drive.

I have two encrypted USB devices one is a Sandisk cruzer professional. Its software will not run as it says it needs to be run off a usb drive and not a networked drive.

This was my who reason for using parallels in the past and it always worked until I upgraded 2 days ago.

4. nferran

nferran Bit poster

Just to add. When you look in the windows device manager USB mass storage device has a warning saying could not be loaded. This is the same for all usb devices tried so far encrypted and not.

And this happens no matter what USB setting in parallels, tried connect directly to VM, and tried the ask me option.

Same result always grabbed by the mac.

5. mrizos

mrizos Bit poster

I've got the exact same issue. I hope there's a "work around"/fix for this like...today! I need to use my Acronis to image some drives for work.

6. JavierT

JavierT Bit poster

I had the same problem with an ActiveKey until I went to Preferences -> USB, and removed all the permanent assignments. I then plugged in the device, told Parallels I wanted it connected to the VM, and everything is back to normal.

Hope this helps.

7. nferran

nferran Bit poster

Had a remote assistance session fro parallels support last night. Took 2 hours of fiddling but they have sorted the issue by uninstalling parallels 6 and reinstalling it, then reinstalling parallels tools.

This did not affect the windows environment but the USB handling issue seems to be sorted now.

Hope this helps for others.

8. JCIsHere

JCIsHere Bit poster

I experienced the exact same problem, and confirmed that the uninstall/reinstall Parallels 6 did "fix" the problem...

9. bomberaia

bomberaia Member

I have the same problem. How do you uninstall and install Parallels?

10. I have the same problem but will wait for a easier solution to fix the problem.

11. PaulMcg

PaulMcg Bit poster

I'm running the latest Parallels 6 build, and just upgraded to OS X Lion, Win 7 VM. Also having the issue with USB drives.
    I came across this article http://go-dslr.com/reviews/mac-os-x-lion-what-works-and-what-does-not-photography-and-others
    And ran the following command, while the VM was running:
    pauls-imac:~ paul$ sudo kextutil -t /Library/Parallels/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/
    Password:
    Warnings:
    The booter does not recognize symbolic links; confirm these files/directories aren't needed for startup:
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeResources
    /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext/Contents/CodeSignature

Suddenly, magically, I am able to attach the USB drives to the VM.
    I didn't have a problem with anything else, so I just ran the USB related fix.

I'm confident that this could be in the next update, its a pain to have to do it every time I start a VM manually.

12. JCIsHere

JCIsHere Bit poster

Hello bomberaia,

To uninstall, I used a program called "AppZapper"...and the whole un/reinstallation process took me no longer than 15 minutes...

13. bomberaia

bomberaia Member

Then how do you re-install? I can't remember if I have a disk or I downloaded the program. Will I have to reinstall Windows 7?

14. bomberaia

bomberaia Member

15. JCIsHere

JCIsHere Bit poster

Glad you resolved it...I actually kept a copy of the installer Parallels tells me it has a update :)

And you don't need to reinstall Windows 7, just make sure you don't delete the VM when you uninstall.

Cheers,
    JC

16. Still waiting for a fix/patch for Parallels 6 + Lion. I hope one is coming soon.

17. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

18. CurtisM

CurtisM Bit poster

PaulMCQ - you're a lifesaver! That did the trick and USB is once again working. Thanks so much for sharing!

-Curt

19. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

PaulMCQ's tip worked for me as well with my XP Pro VM -- thanks! I'd spent hours uninstalling/reinstalling both PD6 and Tools, and trying every other trick I could think of. Thankfully I found this before I'd finished building out a whole new VM from scratch. Note that I never saw any errors in device manager, the drives just wouldn't show up and kick back to the Finder. Of course that could be an XP vs W7 thing.

Interesting find: I'd finally given up and imported the VM into VMware Fusion... and had the same problem! So I'm not sure this issue is specific to Parallels. Of course it could be that the import from Parallels to Fusion carried the problem with it somehow, I can't be sure. I think I'll continue what I started last night, building out fresh VMs in both PD6 & VMW, to see what happens.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  20. juzci

juzci Guest

Guys,
    could someone please reproduce the issue with non-mounted USB drive and send problem report for us to understand, what's going on? To do it go to Parallels Desktop --> Preferences --> Advanced and enable detailed log messages. After it reproduce the issue, go to Help menu having the VM window in foreground, choose Report a Problem, wait for report to be sent and give us the report ID. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011