CTRL Key Functionality Lost

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ChrisSpera-BYTE, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ChrisSpera-BYTE

ChrisSpera-BYTE Bit poster

Software
    Parallels Desktop for Mac 6.0.12094 (Revsion 676494; July 13, 2011)
    Lion 10.7.0 Host OS
    Win 7 Ultimate 32bit Guest OS
    Office 2010 32bit

Hardware
    Early 2011 15" MBP
    2.3gHz i7 Quad Core
    8GB RAM
    128GB SSD (installed in place of SuperDrive)
    500GB 7200RPM Hybrid HDD (for data)

I noticed this while running Snow Leopard, but also noticed this after installing Lion on the above MBP. The CTRL key does not seem to work in any Windows application. The key itself is not damaged, as it worked with previous versions of Parallels Desktop.

I used to be able to get the functionality (CTRL-left arrow, CTRL-right arrow, etc.) to work by using fn-shift-ctrl-left/right to select a word or a line from the cursor point forward or backward, and then RELEASING THE SHIFT key; but that was in PD 6.0.12092, Rev 670880 and earlier. Now, in the latest version of PD, it won't work at all.

Has anyone else see this behavior? Now that I've upgraded to PD 6.0.12094, the control key has stopped working all together.

Chris Spera
    Managing Editor - Reviews, BYTE

2. rmanley99

rmanley99 Bit poster

Lost shift key here in Win - Lion & 12094 also.

3. GregorW

GregorW Bit poster

Similar issue here. I can mark words anymore with CTRL-Shift-Arrow.

Worked before. Tried to turn off some options in preferences, that said something about CTRL-Shirt and Click for right click, but no help.

4. JingxunP

JingxunP Bit poster

Also facing same issue. I can't select any text
    using CTRL-SHIFT-(up/down/left/right)

This is a MAJOR deal breaker for me as I do a lot of coding (PSPAD) and text editing.

Parallels Desktop for Mac 6.0.12094 (Revsion 676494; July 13, 2011)
    Lion 10.7.0 Host OS
    Win XP Pro
    PS Pad

I will definitely purchase parallels but only if this is resolved. thanks.

5. OlegTr

OlegTr Bit poster

I had a similar issue, and I found this answer on another thread:

This setting should help workaround the issue while we are working on a fix: Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> Advanced -> Optimize modifier keys for games

I tried that, and it worked for me. Try it out!

Oleg

6. johnedward

johnedward Bit poster

Copy/Paste function not working between Mac/W7

This no longer works between Mac and Windows 7 since upgrading to Lion, with Parallels 6, current version:
    -copy/paste - the Cmd C works but the Cmd V doesn't do anything within the Windows application. Also tried the left mouse key, which brings up the menu with Paste in it but the menu disappears before I can click on Paste.

7. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

The solution:

Lion uses more shortcuts than Snow Leopard, esp. for Launch Pad and Mission Control. The latter has CTRL arrow left and CTRL arrow right assigned by default, and with Parallels preferences / keyboard / Enable Mac OS X system shortcuts checked, the above combinations trigger Mission Control functions even from inside the VM - that's what the preference item is for.

To avoid this, you can go two ways - Disable the checkbox in the Parallels preferences (the easy way - but you lose all system keys at once within the VM); or remove the assignment of those two shortcuts in Mac OS X system preferences / keyboard / keyboard shortcuts.

Just chose Mission Control on the left side, then you can see the two items on the right side. Uncheck them, and you are fine inside the Windows VMs. There's no pain unless you would like to use the shortcuts for Mission Control.

Since Mission Control only makes real fun with gestures enabled, most people with gesture-capable machines won't need the shortcuts. You could even assign other shortcuts to Mission Control if you liked.

Regards!

8. wwphx

wwphx Bit poster

Thank you! That was my problem and disabling them was the solution. I don't care a whit about Mission Control, having Ctrl-arrow functionality is critical in my job.

9. SergioSider

SergioSider Bit poster

I had lost shift , ctrl and alt + mouse clicks.

WORKED! Thanks

10. CShack

CShack Bit poster

That fixed it for me - disabling the OS X "Mission Control" and "Application Windows" keyboard shortcuts. And by "it" being fixed I mean in my Win7 guest OS I can now use CTRL-SHIFT to select multiple words when text editing. Thanks!

It seems like this might be a bug in OS X - the "Mission Control" hotkey was bound to CTRL-UP and "Application Windows" was bound to CTRL-DOWN, so seems a little odd that they'd interfere with CTRL-SHIFT + LEFT or RIGHT...

Anyway, thanks again!

11. Joe Jurich

Joe Jurich Bit poster

Command + C doesn't work in Windows 7

Thanks, I was able to get the Shift select to work in Windows 7 by doing the Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Options -> Advanced -> Optimize modifier keys for games setting, but I still can't get Command + C and Command + V to work as copy and paste in Windows 7. Also tried reinstalling Parallels Tools several times. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, running Parallels 6 and Snow Leopard.

12. flakshack

flakshack Member

I've had the same problem since upgrading to 6.0.12094. I'm still on OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Worked fine before the latest Parallels upgrade.

13. Joe Jurich

Joe Jurich Bit poster

I have the identical versions of Parallels upgrade and OS X.

14. CI_IT

CI_IT Bit poster

We have 10 Macs here all running Snow Leopard, all running Parallels Desktop 6 and Win7 guess OS, and we have started to upgrade some to Parallels Desktop 6.0.12094 to test. And right after the upgrade, the users reported that they have experiencing keyboard issues, they lost the "Shift" key in Windows, can't use CMD key to do Copy and Paste in Windows, have to use Ctrl key in Windows and switch to CMD in Mac. Those keys worked fine before we have the upgrade.

I enabled the "Optimize modifier keys" and that seems to resolve the "Shift" key issues. But still have CMD/Ctrl key mapping issue. An interesting "work around" I found though, is to exit Coherence and go back to Coherence, then all the keyboard issues seem fixed as they all got "refreshed". However, most of our users are not very good with messing around the settings and they don't want have to go in and out Coherence every time they keyboard is not working. It seems to be there are some thing not communicated right between Parallels and the Mac OS since the upgrade. Any resolution?

15. John Burgess

John Burgess Bit poster

I have the same issue - Snow Leopard, Parallels 6.0.12094, Coherence mode -- and my CMD-keys stopped working.
    The get-around of switching to a window and back again works. Thanks!

now we just need to wait for a Real Fix.

16. youngcm2

youngcm2 Bit poster

I could only getting working again after switching from coherence to windows and back again. And only using Cmd+A.

Installed OSD hotkey to see what is being captured by the VM. When I hit ctrl+a it is only getting ctrl. Until I switched from window mode back to coherence cmd+a was showing as Win+a and now it is showing as ctrl+a.

I have mission control shortcuts completely turned off also. It is definitely something b/t lion and parallels.

17. flakshack

flakshack Member

Just wanted to add that my Snow Leopard keyboard (Ctrl-C Ctrl-V) problems went away once I upgraded to Parallels 7.

18. TotalConfusion

TotalConfusion Bit poster

Exiting coherence also worked for me

Exiting coherence mode got full functionality back with the keyboard under parallels. This worked if you go to Windows mode, or exit coherence and then re-enter it. Very weird, but worked.

19. VytenisB

VytenisB Bit poster

HELP!

I just started having this problem. Cannot get right-click to work in Windows by using CTRL-click.
    I have tried every trick discussed above, and none of them helps. No games optimization, no Mission Control, Parallels preferences correctly set to give secondary mouse click upon seeing CTRL-click.

Am using OS 10.7.5, Win XP, and Parallels 8.0.18608

----------------------------------------------------------------

I think I just fixed it. But it beats my why. I did "Restore defaults" for Parallels mouse preferences. This let me use CTRL-SHIFT-click. Then I went into preferences again, and redefined right click as just CTRL-click. Go figure!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  20. DavidofOz

DavidofOz Bit poster

That fixed it! Thank you very much Inemo.