Quicken 2006 Freezing Upon Opening

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RheaR, May 13, 2010.

1. RheaR

RheaR Bit poster

I have been running QB Pro 2008 & Quicken 2006 with Parallels 5.0.9344/Win 7/imac snow leopard with no problems. Until recently. I loaded Quicken 2006 a few months ago, started fresh, with no moving of any files. Everything was running fine. One day a few weeks ago, when opening Quicken through Win7 menu, I get a pop up screen asking me to "choose your file data" --open a file located on this computer --Restore a Quicken data file I've backed up to CD or disk or -- start over and create a new data file.

You can make a choice but you cannot click anything else. the 'next', 'exit Quicken' the minimize/close buttons, nothing works. It is frozen. I cannot get into Quicken. I am fine on QB Pro and this has never happened in the past when using Quicken, but since the problem started, I cannot find a way to resolve it. I even put in the Quicken CD and chose repairs and no change at all. Any ideas?

2. Hondo

Hondo Junior Member

I had the same problem running Quicken 2009 Home and Biz. The Quicken tech support people told me that Quicken (but not QB) has trouble accessing the file on the Mac side and will often either freeze or exhibit the behavior you are seeing. I closed Quicken, copied the QDF file to a local folder on the C drive and when I reopened Quicken and looked for the local file, it opened correctly.
    Hope this helps.

3. McFate

McFate Bit poster

I am seeing this issue as well (latest MacOs, Parallels Desktop 5, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Quicken 2006).

The underlying problem appears to be that Quicken cannot open a File Dialog for choosing some types of files (whether input or output). Even though I have the Quicken install on the local hard drive only, and am trying to restore a backup that I've copied into a folder on the local hard drive, it can't bring up the dialog.

I go to "File > Restore Backup File > Browse..." and nothing happens. I try "File > Open" and nothing happens. Even during the Quicken install process, I had to select "new Quicken user" to get set up, because the other options (restore backup file, use existing file) were non-responsive, I assume for the same reason.

Note, though, that File > Import > .QIF file... brings up a dialog, and the browse button on that dialog DOES successfully bring up a File Dialog for choosing a file.

Under the theory that it has something to do with the shared filesystems, I dismounted Z:, rebooted, and restarted Quicken... and still saw the same issue.

4. McFate

McFate Bit poster

After a bunch of playing around, I think I've got it figured out.

Quicken can't bring up a file dialog in some cases where the (default) folder that it wants to open the dialog on, is managed by Parallels. Posts that I found elsewhere on this site when searching for "Quicken" imply that the Mac file share (Z:\) is the main culprit.

However, the Parallels integration seems to also be assuming control of the Windows Desktop and Documents folders (files created on the PC Desktop appear on the Mac as well and vice versa; the Mac documents folders are visible on the PC). The "taking over" of the Documents folder in particular, because that is the default location for Quicken to use, breaks the Quicken install (preventing it from installing in any mode other than "new user").

Once I installed Quicken in "new user" mode, and then brought over the .QDF and associated files into C:\Quicken, I was able to double-click on that file and open Quicken directly on them. This is just a happy bit of luck relating to the fact that Quicken's "main" file and "backup" file have exactly the same format -- I was able to fool it into using the latter as the former, more or less. If not for that little opening, it would not have been possible to restore my backups into Quicken -- it would never have been possible to bring up a file dialog because there would have been no way to move the "default" folder away from the Documents folder. (Maybe there is a Parallels option to leave the Win 7 Documents folder alone, that I haven't been able to find.)

5. Arthur Johnson

Arthur Johnson Bit poster

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person having this problem! I installed Quicken 2009 to the Windows local (C:) drive, encountered no trouble -- but when I tried to open my data file, I got one of those nonsensical messages described above. I haven't tried McFate's workaround, but it sounds easy enough. What troubles me is that this seems like a loud invitation for data corruption -- and we're talking about my business AND home finances here. Until I see that this problem has been solved, I think I'll just use it on my PC.