Should I install Windows 7 or Windows XP? Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by elasticmedia, May 25, 2010.

1. elasticmedia

elasticmedia Member

For parallels desktop installations, which Windows OS is ideal? I have always used XP on my parallels installs and I am wondering whether I should go for Windows 7. I have parallels 5 and am ready to reinstall parallels and windows. Any recommendations and anecdotes would be nice. Of course I have to choose which windows 7 to get and whether to choose 32 or 64 bit. I have a 2.8 ghz core 2 duo iMac with 4 gigs of ram.

Thanks!!

Jim

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

My thoughts: From all I understand XP is generally a bit faster than Windows 7; in particular it requires less memory (since it has less visual pizzazz). However, with a 2.8 GHz mac and enough memory, and given the fact that a Parallels VM is really quite fast, I'd go for Windows 7. It's way more fun to use than XP and actually rather Mac-like in many respects. Performance-wise there should be no difference between 32bit and 64bit Win7, and with 4 Gig of Ram overall, you wouldn't want to assign more than 2 Gigs to your VM anyway - Win7 32bit can handle that (it can't deal with more than about 3.5 GB of RAM, while Win7 64bit can deal with a lot more). The main disadvantage of Win7 64bit is that it won't run certain 32bit-only apps (rare but they do exist).