Parallels 5 + Snow Leopard + Windows 7 + Boot Camp = BSOD OxOOOOOO7B

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by John Wedgeworth, Jun 16, 2010.

1. John Wedgeworth

John Wedgeworth Bit poster

This is a copy/paste from a discussion I was having on this matter on facebook. Any suggestions on what I can do to get my bootcamp VM of 7 going in Snow Leopard? A quick note on install method which was not mentioned in the facebook discussion and may or may not make a difference here: I booted into my Vista bootcamp and installed Windows 7 that way. Then when I got back into snow leopard, first thing I did was attempt to open my old Boot Camp Vista VM to see if it'd automatically open 7. Getting the BSOD, I deleted that VM and created a new BC VM, this time specifically for 7, and have been plagued with the BSOD since. For the rest of the details, see below.

Thanks for the help, guys!

James, it's not a license issue, it's a boot problem.

I'm sure you're fully aware of this already, but with parallels you can create what I call a straight virtual machine, where it sets aside a portion of the mac partition (-not- creating a new partition) as a "virtual" hard drive for the windows OS, and the VM runs on that virtual hard drive -or- you can create a boot camp VM where instead of creating a "virtual hard drive" using a portion of the mac partition, it uses the boot camp partition, and so anything you do in VM you do in boot camp (saving files, and installing software, I mean) and of course, I -know- you know what bootcamp is, the apple feature where you can create a separate partition on the hard drive for windows to run on non-virutalized.

Okay, so all that said, in my old setup, I had parallels 4, a boot camp VM with vista, a straight VM with XP and both worked beautifully in snow leopard (minus Parallels 4's lack of Aero support for Vista.) Now, there were two draws to upgrading to Parallels 5, one, the VMs run faster across the board, and now Parallels 5 supports 7, where 4 didn't (5 also supports Aero). So I upgraded to 5, purchased 7, upgraded Vista to 7 in BC, deleted the Vista BC VM and created a 7 BC VM in its place.

I know that 7 is installed okay on the BC because it boots up fine, and runs great in BC. And I know that 5 is installed okay because the XP straight VM works fantastic. But when I boot the 7 BC VM, it crashes in bootup giving me a "Stop: 0x0000007B" error message which per the parallels website (P 4 support) is an error you get when you switch from IDE to SCSI or vice versa. But I didn't switch. Moreover, the ability in parallels -to- switch is disabled so I can't try to switch it and see.

From what I'm gathering from the parllels forum, plus the windows 7 forum, the problem is that there is no Boot Camp VM support for 7. 7 will work in boot camp, and in straight VM, but not in BC VM. And it's a "he said, she said" between apple and parallels between whether the problem is a bootcamp not properly supporting 7 problem or a parallels not properly supporting 7 problem.

There have been two proposed fixes that I've seen, neither have worked: 1) install Macdrive 8 on the 7 bootcamp, and then it should fix the issue...tried it and..nope! 2) go into 7's command prompt and type a command for it to ignore all errors, and then it should work, but even though I'm logged in as an admin, even the only admin, it still will tell me "access denied", so I'm stuck and stumped.

What I'm thinking I might need to do (and I'm not crazy about this) is revert the BC to Vista, install a straight VM of 7, and just live with that til they fix the issue. Then I'd re-upgrade BC to 7...unless someone's got a better idea (and no, buying a PC's not the better idea!) :)

2. barrieg

barrieg Bit poster

Mac/vista/boot camp/windows 7

I have had similar problems with parallels 4 on a new Mac. I needed to run Vista and Visual Studio 2008 (C#)and tried Parallels 4. No matter what or how I tried, I could not get new project files ceated in VS2008/C# to be saved as .cs files. In the end I gave up and used BootCamp. When Windows 7 came along I thankfully got rid of Vista, however I would like to have the option of a quicker change to the 'Mac side' using parallels rather than re-booting each time.
    Has anyone got experience of Windows 7/Visual Studio 2008/C#/Parallels 5?

3. TomBIzo

TomBIzo Bit poster

Exactly the same symptoms!

I have been patiently waiting for Parallels to address the issue of VM "BSOD" when using Boot Camp'd VM. My situation is identical and I am suffering with all of the same symptoms that John describes below.

4. LawrenceSM

LawrenceSM Banned

I also have the same issue with parallels 4 on a new Mac before. I needed to run Vista and Visual Studio 2008 and another version of parallels. [​IMG]