Windows XP (1) (1) (1) displayed as VM name?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoelW, Jun 22, 2010.

1. JoelW

JoelW Bit poster

Hi everyone,

I'm very, very green when it comes to using VMs so please excuse my ignorance on the matter.

I've been running Parallels 5 on my MBP for a couple of months now and when I opened the VM list the other day my original VM had a question mark where the 'On' button usually is and there was a new entry below it called 'Windows XP (1)'.

I ran 'Windows XP (1)' and it worked fine, but then yesterday I opened my VM list and it too had a question mark and there was ANOTHER entry called 'Windows XP (1) (1)'.

I ran that and it worked fine and then TODAY the same thing happened and now I have FOUR virtual machines on my list and it's only the last on the list that works i.e. 'Windows XP (1) (1) (1)'.

What does that actually mean? Is it creating it's own clones or something? I've looked through the forums and googled but because I don't know enough about VMs I'm finding it hard to know what to search for.

By the way, the computer hasn't been shifted or dropped and the HDD works fine/Mac OSX works fine. This MBP is only a couple of months old as well.

I apologise for my ignorance but I just don't know what I'm supposed to be searching for.

If any of you can point me to a thread on the problem I'd be very thankful.

Thanks for any help you can give!

-JW

2. JCE1

JCE1 Bit poster

Windows 7 (1) (1) (1) displayed as VM name?

Did anyone determine a solution to this problem? I am new to Parallels as well. I can get it to work. It runs great, but the same problem is occuring for me. Windows 7 (1) (1) (1) is being displayed as VM name? Thank you.

3. JoelW

JoelW Bit poster

Hi JCE1,

Don't hold your breath waiting for a solution on here. The Parallels forums aren't the best.

I called support and after trying a few things was told to do the following.

1. Open Parallels, but do not start the VM.
    2. Ctrl-click the erroneous VMs and click 'Remove'.
    3. Ctrl-click the latest VM (e.g. Windows 7 (1) (1)...) and click 'Configure'.
    4. In General tab, change name of VM to 'Windows 7'.
    5. In Hardware tab, under Network 1, change 'Shared Network' to 'Default Adapter'
    6. Generate new MAC address.
    7. Restart

While this does fix the problem, I must say that I occasionally still suffer the same problem. It seems to be more of a 'cosmetic' fix than addressing the underlying bug causing the problem.

FYI, I upgraded to Parallels 6 and still had the problem. I'm unsure whether it occurs in the latest version.

Good luck,

J

4. JCE1

JCE1 Bit poster

Thank you for your response. I was able to fix the problem.

Yes, the solution is to open Parallels and do not start the VM (or close it after it is open).

Ctrl-click the erroneous VMs and click Remove.
    Ctrl-click the latest VM (e.g., Windows 7 (1) (1)...) and click Configure.
    In General tab, change name of VM to Windows 7.

I agree about this being a cosmetic fix. I have found that a key program for my Parallels program is Windows 7.pvm and is stored under Documents. If it move or edit this program it causes the conflict.

I just upgraded to Parallels 7 and it works great. Very happy with Parallels.

Again, thank you.

John

5. JoelW

JoelW Bit poster

Hi John,

Yes, moving the .pvm file will cause problems. However, I have never moved the .pvm file (or any other files) and still occasionally get this problem.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but every time I Repair Disk Permissions on my Mac, the repairs list is ALWAYS stocked with Java-related items. I'm now wondering if Java is connected with the Parallels issue, since my Mac is healthy and has no other problems.

Could you please confirm that you suffered this problem after upgrading to Parallels 7?

Thanks.

6. JCE1

JCE1 Bit poster

I have not suffered this problem with Parallels 7. Again, thank you for your reponses.

John

7. In_Okc

In_Okc Bit poster

I'm sure this is a dead topic for you, but I fixed the same problem I was having with server image. I ran verifyVolume, then repairPermissions which seemed to allow me to ctrl-click then Remove.

Hope this helps.