How to use bootcamp with parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dorian88, Mar 26, 2007.

1. dorian88

dorian88 Member

I was told that you can start up windows xp with boot camp opposed to the dual OS with parallels. How can I do this?

I want to make windows run as natively as possible and I have run into problems
    with just using the dual OS for what I have to do.

Also, can some windows xp programs tell if the windows os is running on a native pc
    or as an emulator or it's the same?

Thanks.

Dorian

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

This is a forum for Parallels.
    For information on Boot Camp to run Windows natively on an Intel Mac you should go to the Apple support forums.

ajm

3. dorian88

dorian88 Member

You didn't quite understand my question. Parallels has an option of using boot camp to start from windows, it is a new feature that came with the latest update so for that reason it does have to do with Parallels.

The folks over at apple forum told me to come here for this type of question.

Please advise if you have any solutions.

Thank you.

Dorian

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What you do is use the BootCamp tool to partition your drive and install Windows, then you set-up Parallels using the BootCamp drive as the HD. It is all built right into it. Install the latest version of parallels while you are at it (as of now it is 3188).

As to Windows programs being able to tell, my initial guess is no, but I have never investigated this issue, nor developed from inside a VM.

5. dorian88

dorian88 Member

Could you explain in more details how I can use the parallels image tool to use the bootcamp drive as the HD after windows has been installed on bootcamp?

Also, what's the difference between using parallels to use bootcamp opposed to just starting up the computer, holding option and selecting the start-up drive?

Thank you.

Dorian

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hello Dorian,

Well, you do not make it via the Parallel's image tool... You download BootCamp from Apple's website, and then you partition your drive using the tool. After you do that, you install Windows XP via the prompts from the installer. Now, you just hold down option to boot into Boot Camp. Install the BootCamp drivers that you had to burn to a CD. You should have a real Windoze computer now!

After that is done, install the latest stable version of Parallels on your computer. Set-up using a custom install, then select via using BootCamp as a Hard Drive. Answer any more questions and you should be set. You can always add your old .hdd file as a secondary HD. Install Parallels tools after you boot up from Parallels for the first time. You should be set to use either method now.

As to differences... Well, BootCamp runs Windoze faster than in Parallels, naturally. It is not emulated in any manner. Downside, you lack the beautiful OS X... Biggest plus of BootCamp is 3D Graphic Acceleration... If you play any games you will understand the need for this. I don't play much, but I know people who do, and when I do, I like 'pristine' graphics...

Make sense?

7. jjones

jjones Bit poster

Can you do the reverse? i.e., use parallels VM to start via bootcamp?

I have parallels with XP and Vista. For some apps it is too slow, for others it just crashes. If I install bootcamp can i tell it to reference the VM of XP or Vista I have within parallels?

8. stanleysiu

stanleysiu Bit poster

jjones, Parallel can use partition set up for Bootcamp but not the other way around.
    Bootcamp need the native FAT32/NTFS partition.

9. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

Dorian : Why don't you read the manual? It's pretty straightforward.

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yes, and no.

Vista is not yet supported for running with both Parallels and BootCamp on it... So far it is only one or the other.

Yes, you can use XP and access the same 'computer' by both BootCamp and Parallels. To set it up, make a standard BootCamp install. Use Acronis or something similar to back-up your XP virtual machine, then 're-store' your Acronis image to your BootCamp partition. Now, set-up a new VM that points to BootCamp as the HD.

Chrisj303, it may be pretty straightforward, but for some it is not. The manual make most people's eyes glaze over. Not to mention, we had a back and forth and he might have just wanted generalities from someone on the forum to re-assure him. I may be a 'techie', and if you find the manual straightforward and clear, you probably are a 'techie' too. We can't pull the 'RTFM' with a manual that is very technical. Not to mention, he was just following up on my answer to his question... Don't take me in a rude manner, please, just wanted to drop a little comment.

11. David5000

David5000 Pro

Thank you for the reality check. I estimate that the shortcomings of the manual are responsible for perhaps 80% or more of the posts to this forum.

David

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yeah, it's true though.

13. ksignorini

ksignorini Member

Along similar lines...

I am not yet a Parallels user...only Boot Camp, but from Parallels website I get this:

I can install Windows on Boot Camp and boot to it inside Parallels without having to reinstall Windows in a Parallels VM.

What I don't get is this:

Do I need to re-activate Windows when I do this? And if so, do I just need to re-activate the once and now both Boot Camp'd Windows and Parallels running my Boot Camp'd Windows will run fine an not require further activations?

Thanks,
    Kent!

14. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

You got it right, Kent. You activate once in the BootCamp mode and once in the parallels mode.

15. ksignorini

ksignorini Member

What if I wanted to use my same copy of Windows XP in a separate VM instead of Boot Camp? Same goes?

What if I want to do both? (Use Boot Camp, Boot Camp'd Parallels, AND Windows XP in a separate VM?)

Thanks again,
    Kent!

16. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, only if you have two BootCamp drives...

17. ksignorini

ksignorini Member

What I mean is:

1. Install Windows in Boot Camp on a separate partition.
    2. Use Parallels in Boot Camp mode to access the Boot Camp partition--call this "VM #1"
    3. Create another regular (non-Boot Camp) Parallels VM called "VM #2" with Windows installed on it.

In all these scenarios I am only using 1 copy of Windows XP. So, will this work?

Kent!

18. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Oh... I see. Not legally... If you take my meaning. I cannot advise an illegale use of things...

You can do either 1 and 2 together or 3 alone legally.

19. Unkle

Unkle Bit poster

Is having 2 VMs set up in Parallels illegal? One from a Bootcamp partition and one not formed from a Bootcamp partition? I would imagine as long as you don't have VM#1 and VM#2 running at the same time within Parallels you should be able to do this.

I could be wrong???

20. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

If they are using the same license keys...