BUG, Have to use Caps Lock to type lower case letters...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jean_nichols, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jean_nichols

jean_nichols Bit poster

Using Windows 7 via Parallels 5 after a while, I have to use Caps Lock to type lower case letters...
    If I'm not using Shift or Caps Lock, I will type in CAPITAL LETTER.

This is a bug because when starting Windows 7, everything is OK, but after a certain time, the problem appear...

2. Parix

Parix Junior Member

Same problem with XP : see the post "2 bugs with Caplocks".
    Do you go from Win to Mac OS and back, leaving the CapsLock activated ? This is what happens regularly to me. Very annoying.

Partial solution : activate the CapLock in Win, go to Mac OS, deactivate CapLock, go back to Win. This is what I do and it may help you ? Still not very friendly and does not solve the other keyboard mapping problems.

3. thanar

thanar Member

This indeed happened to me as well (two separate installations), however since I installed PD6 yesterday, I have yet to see such a behavior.

4. lupus

lupus Junior Member

I think the issue is when the screen saver comes on for the Windows guest OS, and the screen lock is applied. If I have the caps lock on in windows, and switch to mac, as long as the PC is still live, pressing the caps lock in the Mac OS will apply to the PC.

However, if the PC has locked the screen, then the caps lock being pressed in the Mac OS will not be matched in the PC. I think that this is because keyboard input is blocked apart from Alt-Ctrl-Del when the screenlock is in activation. Consequently the Caps lock signal is not seen. As the Mac uses a soft caps lock key (the key itself does not change), there is no way to determine whether it is activated or not from the key position.

To resolve the issue, lock your screen on the PC, activate the Caps lock, and then unlock the PC screen.

5. Parix

Parix Junior Member

For me this has nothing to do with the screensaver. Actually, I have no screen saver on Windows. And the phenomenon is perfectly reproducible when going from Mac OS to Win OS with CapLock activated (I am on MacBookPro so CapLock is indicated as activated with a green light).

6. thanar

thanar Member

No screensaver here either (I don't use a screensaver for OS X, would I possibly use one on windows?). However, as I reported earlier, this still hasn't occurred on PD6 installation.

7. Unfortunately, there were no CAPS lock synchronization code in PD5 in between guest and host. Most like the problem happens with second keyboard attached, f.e. you press CAPS on additional keyboard and remove it. In this case CAPS in host and in guest has different values. The same can happen with a single keyboard after suspend and resume.

We have invented a synchronization in between guest and host in PD6. We are trying to sync host state into guest. If the state is lost - it will be restored after several key strokes of after CAPS press/release. The bad news is that this fix can not be merged into PD5 due to technical reasons. Sorry for this inconvenience.

8. Alan Morris

Alan Morris Bit poster

Caps Key always on

I am using Parallels 6 and mac osx and Windows 7. Once the caps key is on, it will not go off. There must be a work around.

9. Could you please describe the problem in a bit more details.

0. Boot your VM
    1. Please turn verbose logging on: Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Use detailed log messages
    2. Press CAPS
    3. type something
    4. Create problem report: Help -> Report a problem
    5. Post the number of report here.

Also we need some information about programs installed in your Windows 7 and Windows 7 itself. Do you have any program/action which is bound to CAPS lock? Are you using Japanese version or English?

Thank you in advance,
    Denis V. Lunev

10. KonnectixUSA

KonnectixUSA Bit poster

Yes, try spamming Left Shift, it worked for me! Please reply back if it worked.