P5 Win XP No internet WiFi connection

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by SoulSearcher, Sep 27, 2010.

1. SoulSearcher

SoulSearcher Bit poster

I've tried Shared Networking, Airport Bridging and Host Only Networking to connect to my Macbook Pro running 10.5.8, but cannot get internet to work in my Win XP virtual machine. P5 is up to date 5.0.9376. Help please.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

make sure that VM is in Shared Networking mode. If this doesn't help, please click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all". Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

3. SoulSearcher

SoulSearcher Bit poster

Thanks for joining the case.

Have followed your instructions. Still no good.

Report ID is 6745156

Thanks

PS can't enter coherence mode now either!

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

Try to reinstall the Parallels Tools. To do so, uninstall it first via Control Panel -> Programs -> Uninstall. Then reboot the
    VM and install it again using menu of Parallels Desktop "Virtual Machine" -> "Install Parallels Tools".

5. SoulSearcher

SoulSearcher Bit poster

OK done. When the VM rebooted I got the following message, "Unable to switch to Coherence. The virtual machine display configuration could not be applied. Please try again or contact Parallels Support team for assistance".

Still no internet connection. What next?

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I can suggest to establish a session and investigate the problem directly on your Mac. Let me know your email (via private message) if you agree. My timeframe is 8AM-5PM (GMT+0), working days

7. rocR

rocR Bit poster

p5 xp no int net

Hello same problem work order # 8028757. thank you.

8. SoulSearcher

SoulSearcher Bit poster

Solved

Glad you prodded my memory regarding this issue. I'm happy to report it was solved by Elric, a parallels technician, who accessed my computer. I hope you have the same success.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,

try to reset the Windows TCP/IP configuration:

open Command Prompt in Windows (Start > Run.. > type 'cmd' > OK)

And execute the following two command:

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset reset.log

Restart Windows and check whether it have helped. Send one more problem report if it doesn't

10. rocR

rocR Bit poster

Thanks Elric.
    Still no internet connection.
    What is next step?

11. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

And... problem report number?

12. rocR

rocR Bit poster

My apologies, I thought that the posts were more linear. My problem report date is 2/28, report#8028757.
    thanks

13. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Sorry for the late answer. Here are some steps that could solve the issue:

1. Right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager and check whether Parallels Network adapter is present, is enabled and doesn't have a yellow-exclamation sign on it.

2. Right-click My Computer -> Manage -> Services And Applications. Check that the following services are started:
    * Remote procedure call (RPC)
    (This service must be started before other services can take effect.).
    * Network Connections
    (This service can only start if the RPC service is active.)
    * Plug and Play
    * COM+ Event System
    (This service can only start if the RPC service is active.)
    * Remote Access Connection Manager
    (This service can only start if Telephony service is active.)
    * Telephony
    (This service can only start if the RPC service and the PnP Service are active.)

3. Go again to the Device Manager. Expand Network adapter(s). Click to locate the network adapter, and then click Uninstall. Restart Windows, and then let the system automatically detect and install the network adapter drivers.

Hope this helps!

14. rocR

rocR Bit poster

report: #8028757

Thank you that worked and I have IE internet connection in windows while running in Parallels.
    WHen i rebooted there is a prompt from the host machine saying that another machine is using the IP address. The Mac losses internet conductivity until I click OK, then connection is reestablished. After reboot I also found that it lost internet connection. I opened device manager and found that the device driver was then a generic, I uninstalled it and rebooted windows and then the IE worked again after the prompt about the shared IP address was affirmed.

So I will see if this stabilizes over time.

Thank you,

Roc

15. ettorem

ettorem Bit poster

same problem

my report ID: # 8684184

I followed all the intructions reported in this thread

i am still unable to connect to internet. I unistalled the network adapters(two) and I found out that the new network adapter is a different generic: rRealtek RTL8029(AS)- based ethernet adapter (generic) #2. I tried few time unistall/restart....Realtek was allways back

16. ettorem

ettorem Bit poster

Meanwhile I uninstalled/installed Parallels tools...reboot......now the network adapter is "Parallels ethernet adapter #2"

no internet connection

17. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It is strange, because I see no problems with networking. Do you have any firewall installed on Mac OS? If so, you need to allow all access for process prl_naptd.

also execute in the cmd.exe the command "ping 95.100.13.15" (it is one of the ip-addresses of the www.apple.com). What is the result?

18. ettorem

ettorem Bit poster

solved...so far

Yes, I have virus barrier x6, I changed the firewall setting to "no restrictions".
    I have also little snitch: all the prl_naptd allowed.
    Now I have connection to internet

By the way when i tried to run "netsh int ip reset reset.log" I had a warning:could not obtain information from machine xxxxx. some commands may not be available, the service cannot be started either because it is disable or because it has no enabled service associated with it.

What service is talking about?

Thanks a lot

With my best