Migrate Boot Camp partition

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tajmahal, Oct 1, 2010.

1. tajmahal

tajmahal Bit poster

Hello,

I am thinking about buying Parallels, which I would like to use with a Boot Camp partition.

I would like to know if there is a function in Parallels which helps me to migrate a Boot Camp partition from one hard disk to another. I currently have my old hard disk in an external USB enclosure and would like to move the Boot Camp partition which is on there onto my new (internal) hard drive. I have been using WinClone for this in the past, which has been a bit cumbersome. Maybe Parallels offers something better?

Thanks in advance,
    tajmahal

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Parallels has an option to import from a Boot Camp virtual machine to a virtual machine that uses a virtual hard disk file but not to another Boot Camp partition. I think you need to stick with WinClone.

3. tajmahal

tajmahal Bit poster

Ok, thanks.

Pity that development of WinClone has ceased.

Are there any other disadvantages when using a Boot Camp partition instead of a Parallels image file?

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

From the "Using Boot Camp Partition in Virtual Machine" section of the Parallels Desktop Help (search for Boot Camp in the Help menu):

Limitations
    There is a number of limitations for a Parallels virtual machine that uses the Boot Camp Windows partition either as a bootable volume or as a data disk:

- it cannot be paused
    - it cannot have snapshots and run in Safe Mode
    - it cannot be compressed

5. tajmahal

tajmahal Bit poster

Thank you very much!