Problems with Parallels 6, WinXP and a wonky app

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ctbritt, Nov 24, 2010.

1. ctbritt

ctbritt Bit poster

Hello all— I know this might just be unsolvable, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

I’m running Parallels 6 on my MacBook Pro. The guest OS is WinXP SP3. This is required for my work, which wants me to work in a cms system called Coyote, which resembles an old DOS screen. (Yes, we’re still stuck in the 1980s, it seems.)

Under Parallels 5, Coyote ran great. I would connect using a Cisco VPN software (4.6, I believe) and I could edit text without a problem. Under Parallels 6, however, I can’t use the arrow keys, as the response is very sluggish, often skipping lines or just freezing in place. I can type fine, but I can’t position the cursor with any degree of precision. Since I’m an editor, this is a problem.

Anyone have any ideas? I’m running the WinXP system off a bootcamp partition and it works great if I boot natively, so it’s something to do with Desktop 6. I know there have been some issues with Cisco VPN software, and I’ve reinstalled it, but no love there. My tech guy is completely lost. He’s never even seen a mac before. (I work in Pakistan.) The idea of running two OSes on one machine blows his mind. So he’s no help.

Any suggestions?