Parallels 6 - Win 7 :: Fatal Error

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by j o e l, Dec 2, 2010.

1. j o e l

j o e l Bit poster

Hi,

I've been running Win 7 on Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac for a couple months without any major issues. Today, I was doing some work in Win 7 while listening to iTunes. I saw that some Adobe products on my Mac had updates available, so I started the update. After about 5 mins, the MacBook froze, repeating the same 1 sec clip in iTunes over and over. The entire MacBook was stuck in this state for quite some time. After about 5-10 mins, I saw no other option but to kill it and reboot.

Upon rebooting, I tried to start up the Win 7 vm again. An error pops up stating there was a fatal error. Following several articles online, I've not been able to get it start up again. I've noticed my MacBook's hdd is about 30 gb lighter than it should be - which is about what my vm's size was. I do see the .vpm still on my machine, and I see a list of all of the Win apps still in my ~/Applications/Windows 7 Applications/.

I've tried starting the vm using the Win 7 dvd to repair it, but that doesn't work, as it nothing is found to repair.

If I look at the .vpm in Finder and select "Show Package Contents" and do the same on the Windows 7-0.hdd, there is another Windows 7-0.hdd file, as well as 2 corresponding .hds files with differing alphanumeric names.

Somewhere along the way, I was able to find my bootmgr file, but when I open it in TextEdit, it appears to be empty. If I open the bootsect.bak file, I see the following embedded near the top of the file:

A disk read error occurred
    BOOTMGR is missing
    BOOTMGR is compressed
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

When I start the vm, this does not appear anywhere. The vm simply attempts to start, and then the standard error reporting takes over with a dialog to add comments and submit to Parallels (which I've done).

I fear I already know the answer to this question, but did I lose my vm? Do I need to reinstall Win 7, or is there something else that can be done?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

-- joel

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. MrWrighty

MrWrighty Member

I have had exactly the same issue. See my thread http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=106579

I have an open ticket with Parallels but they seem reluctant to respond.

My issue came about after a failed wakeup from hibernation, had to do a forced reboot and the VM had disappeared, and I have the same symptoms as you.

I have been using Parallels 4 and 5 for years now with now issues at all around this problem of forced reboot of the mac, but I now see a number of failed Windows 7 VM on the pages of this forum.

I get the feeling there is a fundamental failure somewhere but parallels are not keen to accept responsibility.

Open a ticket and get them to look into it. Also make reference to other that have had the same or similar problems.

This is very very very poor and has spooked me enough to re-consider using Parallels at all.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  3. alelordelo

alelordelo Bit poster

Same problem here.

ID: 69171-41330

Need to solve this URGENTLY!!!!!!