Macfuse runtime version mismatch

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by seyDoggy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. seyDoggy

seyDoggy Bit poster

Since installing Parallels 6 build 6.0.11992 I am repeatedly prompted with this warning every time I activate one of my vm's:

[​IMG]

Mac OS: 10.6.6
    Parallels Build #6.0.11992
    computer: Mac Pro
    ram: 8 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
    storage: 1 GB
    BootCamp configuration: none
    upgrade from a BETA: NO
    With what Build did the problem start: 6.0.11992
    Parallels Tools are installed: yes
    Anything you have tried to get things working: no
    Anything specific about your set-up you think we should know: no
    If you are crashing, upload some crash logs: NA
    If you are getting an error message type it in and then attach a screenshot:

"MacFUSE Runtime Version Mismatch

The MacFUSE library version this program is using is incompatible with the loaded MacFUSE kernel extension."

[​IMG]

If you are having issues with a specific component (i.e. mouse, keyboard, monitor) tell us what it is: NA

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Reinstall MacFUSE using the MacFUSE System Preferences item or download it manually and install. Latest version is 2.0.3. Or 2.1.5 Beta. Or 2.1.7 which works with 64 bit kernel.

Parallels uses MacFUSE to mount your Boot Camp partition in the Finder after you log into Windows so that it can be used at the same time by both Windows and Mac OS X.

3. seyDoggy

seyDoggy Bit poster

Already up to date:

[​IMG]

4. RobbT

RobbT Junior Member

Hello joevt,

I always wondered if I could remove MacFuse.

Before Parallels installed MacFuse I already had Paragon NTFS. My Bootcamp Windows is not coupled with Parallels.
    I never liked seeing MacFuse (32-bit) in my System Preferences next to Paragon NTFS (64-bit), always wondering if it has any use at all.

Do you know if I could just remove it?

5. biglar

biglar Pro

I believe that Parallels downloads the version of Mac Fuse it wants. If you go to a later version, it may show a mismatch and not work properly. My MacFuse is V2.0.3 and there is no mismatch.

6. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Paragon NTFS is used only for your Boot Camp partitions and only while Parallels is not using your Boot Camp partitions.

MacFUSE is required by Parallels to mount in Mac OS X your Windows partitions that are visible in your Windows virtual machine when you log into Windows. The partitions may be any virtual disk used by your virtual machine, not just your Boot Camp partitions. Parallels has a special MacFUSE file system for doing that. The Parallels MacFUSE file system is not NTFS. It is a special file system that allows the Mac to read and write the files on the virtual hard disk partitions while the virtual machine is using the virtual hard disk partitions.

If you look at the invisible Install.mpkg file on the Parallels Desktop 6 disk image using Pacifist, you'll see that Parallels installs MacFUSE-Core-2.0.3.2.pkg

7. RobbT

RobbT Junior Member

Thank you joevt for your explanation.

8. pinkcanvas

pinkcanvas Bit poster

How I got this sorted out

Hi there
    I was in exactly the same position as you with this.
    I had the MacFuse error. I had the latest version of MacFuse according to the Preferences. In fact my version was earlier as I did not have the Beta box ticked.
    Anyway I clicked the button to remove MacFuse, then installed it again. Short pause, then the error had gone away.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers