How to get permission?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MajedM, Jan 30, 2011.

1. MajedM

MajedM Bit poster

when i want to delete files in windows using the virtual machine that installed in my Mac, it not allow me to do that and a message pop up saying "you need permission to perform this action" so how i can get that permission?

2. Bobwire

Bobwire Bit poster

I have the same problem with Parallels 7. Is there a setting i need to change or maybe an update. If someone can help me with this problem i would appreciate it .
    Thanks,Bobwire

3. YanaYana

YanaYana

You probably are using non administrative account in Windows - check the account settings and try to switch to Admin User

4. Bobwire

Bobwire Bit poster

I went into the control panel under user settings and it shows i am the admin. Is there somewhere else i need to go to change this.
    Thanks

5. YanaYana

YanaYana

What files are you trying to delete and from where? Are you accessing files located on disk C in your virtual machine via Windows explorer? ...files located in your virtual machine on disk C via Finder? ...files located on Mac hard drive via Eindows Explorer?

6. Bobwire

Bobwire Bit poster

The folders i am trying to delete are in a Seagate external drive. I also tried to create new folders in the external and it says i have no permissions.

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

Are you able to create or remove files if connect this drive to Mac? is it in NTFS file format?

8. liqiao

liqiao Bit poster

I went into the control panel under user settings and it shows i am the admin. [​IMG]

9. Bobwire

Bobwire Bit poster

Are you able to create or remove files if connect this drive to Mac? is it in NTFS file format?

No i am not able to delete or create while it is connected to the mac drive. I also just installed Parallels 7 with Windows 7 on my Mac Mini yesterday and i have the same problem with it. I didn't notice anything during setup that asked whether or not to write protect any hard drives? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Bobby

10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Most likely scenario: This volume (in the external drive) is mounted in OS X and being shared with Windows (they appear as network drives in Windows), since OS X only supports NTFS read-only it cannot write to it. You have to connect the drive directly in Windows, meaning, if this is a USB drive, you have to attach the USB drive directly to Windows via the USB menu in Parallels.

Fabio_Borghesi likes this.
  11. YanaYana

YanaYana

There is another safe solution i use myself - install NTGS 3g on your Mac and it will become able to read and write to NTFS volumes

12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Safe? I don't think NTFS 3G is even compatible with Parallels MacFuse variant.

13. YanaYana

YanaYana

well it works for me pretty good.

14. Ric cezar

Ric cezar Bit poster

Please guys, someone must know what to do. I have the same problem. Running Win7 on Parallels (maverick/imac 27") and have 3 external hard drives attached via usb. the drives appear in both mac and windows as normal drives with letters, on mac they mount on the desktop after system is started. On windows every time i want to save something to those external hdds or add a folder or do anything really, i get that message saying i dont have permission. Please someone help. yes i am the admin too in this windows machine and refuse to believe i have to buy something like a 3g thingy to make this work.

15. Dinobelf

Dinobelf Bit poster

Unable to write to NTFS drives from Parallels 9 with Win 7 on iMac Mavericks

I have the same problem with Parallels 9 and Win 7. Surely someone in Parallels has a solution to this. Have they not tested this?? Seems most odd to me that they have not supplied an reply.

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

17. bradhuddleston

bradhuddleston Bit poster

Hi - I had the same problem. Here's my workaround:

- With both Mac and Windows 7 open simultaneously using Parallels, I was able able to copy the file from the Mac side to the *Desktop* of the Windows side.

- Parallels would still not allow me to copy the file from the desktop to the desired connected NTFS hard drive.

- So, I had to completely shut down and using Bootcamp only, I booted into Windows 7. Only then could I move the file from the desktop to the desired NTFS drive.

In summary, it was a multi-stepped process that took way too much time. Strange that I could never figure how to copy directly to the connected NTFS drive but at least it worked. I hope the team at Parallels will address this.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  18. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I had already answered how you can do it inside Parallels:

(also applies to thunderbolt and firewire external drives in PDM 9)

19. Westone

Westone Bit poster

Sorry to say Specimen, this is not an answer and your assumption about the most likely scenario is incorrect. In my case the folder is in the Program Files (x86) folder of the virtual C:, not visible from OS X. I am not able to remove a folder of an uninstalled program, and have not been able to get around this permissions issue even with full ownership and admin rights to the folder signed in as SysAdmin.

Anyone find an actual solution to this issue?

Thanks!

20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You just posted on this thread for the FIRST time to say that my assumption about the specific problem you are having is incorrect, that is neither logical or reasonable. Of course that my reply is meant for the other people on this thread before, and not your specific problem. Your specific problem has to do with messing with a folder you shouldn't be messing with on the mac side and is indeed protected by permissions in Windows, this is just to explain to you what is different here, as for the solution, well, I like to stick to the rule that once someone hostilizes me gratuitously there's no way I'm going to help that person.