Windows 7 on External Drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bwurfel, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bwurfel

bwurfel Bit poster

Hello every. I have a couple quick questions...

I have an iMac and a MBP. I want to install Windows 7 on an external drive and have the ability to boot windows from either of my computers. I want to do this because I do not want to partition and install windows on my internal drives.

- Can this be done?
    - If so, do you know if I will have the ability to run the single legitimate purchased copy of Windows 7 (on the external drive) on both computers without Microsoft saying that I can only have one computer running with the SN provided? In other words, do I have to buy a copy of Windows 7 for each computer?
    - Can I use a single license of Parallels on both computers? In other words, do I have to buy a copy of Parallels for each computer?

Thank you very much for all the help. Sorry if this has already been asked before. If so, will you kindly post links to other discussions? Thanks.

2. bwurfel

bwurfel Bit poster

Hi Everyone. Does anybody know the answer to my questions? I want to pull the trigger on purchasing Parallels today if I can get this question answered. Thanks ahead of time for any help...

3. Tony Carreon

Tony Carreon Hunter

yes, i do it. no problems found. but you have to have a separate license for each parallels instance since parallels is licensed per-computer.

4. Geophizz

Geophizz Bit poster

If you have the windows machine set up as a VM with virtual drives, it doesn't matter where they are stored. I've never tried Parallels with a bootable partition, so I can't answer that one. Apple Boot Camp won't allow you to set up windows on an external drive, it has to be on the primary internal drive. I find that odd, because I can boot OS X from external drives with no problem.