resolving problems between 10.6.6 & Parallels 5 build 9344?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Kathleen R, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Kathleen R

Kathleen R Member

Mac apparently instability that I have been told was likely caused by running windows as a VM. How to correct underlying cause?

Rapidly escalating crashes of Pages, Safari & Mac until not able to even boot Mac--Kernal panics. Apple care assisted in archive & reinstall, but still some problems so about a week later they had me reset Safari & empty its caches & the other caches. Then when I tried to open Parallels it was all messed up. Shut down. Opened bootcamp it was all messed up. Shutdown & left it for about a half hr. Then opened bootcamp & Outlook. Shut down. Booted Mac & opened Parallels, seems to work ok except for continuing crashes of Safari.

More Background before this.
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    4 gb memory, VM only showing 1 GB--maybe set in Bootcamp by Microsoft? VM has memory set to auto
    I got my Mac back last April & Microsoft store set up the bootcamp partition & installed Win7 64 bit, Later they installed Outlook 2007 as well in bootcamp.

I set up the bootcamp partition as a VM. Then I accidentally hit the wrong button the 1st time I tried to use it which started it setting up a new VM & there was no cancel button. So for a long time had duplicate VMs. Just this week I learned out to remove the duplicate.

Things had been mostly working ok until several weeks ago, although I had an ocasional message about disk 1 that restarting or something took care of.

Then 1 Sat I had it at the office using Pages to take notes on a training video we were watching. Pages quit a couple of times & as I recall it flickered between it, desktop & blue screen. I think I tried to re-open Pages a couple times & then gave up. Over the period of a week increasing #s of crashes of mostly Pages & especially Safari. Applecare said they were kernal panics. I went to Genius bar & asked & they said to do archive & install after backup. So went hunting for back up drive. Before I could get it setup, Mac woudln't even boot. Did drag & drop in bootcamp to back up Macfiles to old ntfs HD.

Even after that, the crashes of Safari have been frequent. A couple of days ago while seeking help for the overall problem I finally got the answer to how to safely remove the duplicate VM & did so. Safari has crashed a lot less since.

But I'm concerned the underlying causes of all this have not been addressed. Since about 3 different people suggested it could be related to running Windows in bootcamp as a VM (I'm doing it that way since co tech support insists they don't support mac so figured running it native would be more likely to work & satisfy them) I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Updating to the latest build might be a solution but not sure. Check updates tells me I have the latest update. I have build 9344, sticky under general discussion announces build 9376--not sure if that is relevant since I don't have Mac Pro.

I keep both Mac & Windows updated although I see SP1 is there available but has not been downloaded. Last Win download 3-8

After getting rid of the duplicate VM things seem more stable but I've had 1 or 2 Safari crashes since then as I recall so its actually usuable now.

Suggestions on what to do to get Parallels to play nice with my Mac so it behaves nicely like Macs are supposed to--not like what I had with Windows machines?

Also I'm not a geek so don't understand all the info & want to update to the latest applicable build but confused which 1 that would be & what the exact process to do an update to existing Parallels 5 installation is. I do have my original CD, but not sure where the sleeve which probably has the # on it is.

Parallels shows that it is an active copy licensed to me. Not sure if I complete the registration process. I see an old email asking for email verification. it asks for the key that I don't have--unless it can be found somewhere in the records. So also don't know if my 30 day tech support window ever opened. (A lot of new stuff right then overwhelmed me w coming back to Mac so new Mac OS, plus iWorks quite different than Office & Win7 different than XP & learning parallels.) I'm not even sure if I installed any of the Parallels related add ons. I usually run in Coherence mode but sometimes it says it can't go into Coherence. But usually once its open, I can select Coherence.