USB device not detected by Windows VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Flyer320, May 12, 2011.

1. Flyer320

Flyer320 Bit poster

I have a Thuraya Satellite phone SO-2510 which I use as a modem. It will work in Windows only, using a USB cable supplied with the phone.

The Windows Vista VM in Parallels fails to detect the device when it is plugged into the USB port. There is no message, no software reponse, nothing. The Add Hardware wizard cannot detect the device either. It is as if the device is not plugged in at all.

However when I boot Windows Vista in Bootcamp on the same MacBook Pro, the phone is detected when it is plugged in, and the Detected New Hardware wizard opens automatically. So I am stumped.

Is there a known issue with some devices? I have read the various forums and knowledge base articles and while there is no directly relevant information, it seems that this may be a possibility. Any further troubleshooting steps anyone could suggest would be very helpful.

I really like the Parallels product, except for this one problem. Unfortunately, the use of this phone/modem is one of the main reasons I want to use Windows VM on my Mac...!

Many thanks!