CAC reader support

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ReeseDMA, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ReeseDMA

ReeseDMA Bit poster

I'm trying to get the CAC (Common Access Card) reader to work in both the Windows VM and Mac OS and I can't seem to get it to work. At the bottom of page 116 in the Parallels 6 User Guide it says that when you choose to connect the CAC reader in the VM it will create a virtual copy of the CAC reader and allow it to work in both the Mac OS and the virtual machine, however when I do this, the Mac OS loses connection to the reader. If I uncheck the reader in the USB list, it can be read by the Mac OS but then the Windows VM no longer sees the reader. I can't get them to seem to work simultaneously like the manual says.

Anyone have any experience with this? The card reader I'm using is an SCR331.

2. WiseByte

WiseByte Bit poster

This is critical for our environment because Smart Card login is enforced. If we use the Smart Card to login to the virtual machine (Windows 7) then it appears to the Mac (Parallels VM Host) that the token has been removed and it triggers the screen saver, but the user can't unlock the screen because the Mac no longer has access the the SmartCard Reader thus the SmartCard (token).

In my tests, the feature described by Parallels stating that the CAC reader in the VM will create a virtual copy of the CAC reader much like a mouse or keyboard is accessible by both the virtual machine and the host DOES NOT WORK. Please fix. Thanks!

3. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

Windows XP can't see the reader until you install the appropriate driver for your CAC card, and then you really can't do anything with it until you install appropriate middleware. If you have AKO access you can get what you need for free. Some CAC card readers won't access the newer CAC cards, but an update may be available for you.

Under Windows 7 I did not need to install a driver, but without the middleware I could not do anything. Once this is working you can install your form reader and signature software but don't bother until it's installed and you can access it.

Mac access and PC access at the same time is not possible. In Parallels you can set which OS gets access to the CAC reader but it's an either/or proposition.

With the latest Snow Leopard and Lion I could access my old CAC card using Keychain Access. With the newer CAC cards my Mac did not even seem to recognize that a card was inserted. I bought PKard which is the baby brother for Admit Mac (and loads cheaper). This allowed me to use my CAC to connect to sites etc that required a CAC card. I cannot sign anything, and some encrypted things I can't open, but most things work. Admit Mac is probably fuller featured (but there may not be Mac CAC signing software anyway) but out to the price range I am willing to visit.

4. WiseByte

WiseByte Bit poster

Megavolt, thanks for the reply. I do have all the drivers and middleware installed on Windows 7. My problem is not with accessing the CAC on the Windows side, but to have the CAC accessible by both the Mac host and the Windows VM at the same time. Page 116 for the Parallels Desktop User's Guide for v.6 and page 83 for v.7 says, "A Common Access Card (CAC) reader can work simultaneously in Mac OS X and Windows." I really need to have this working. This will bring the happy Mac icon back on my face and the faces of all the users here.

5. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

Wow! I guess reading the manual has it's advantages...

Can you use the CAC from the Mac side? I use PKard or my Mac did not even recognize when my card was inserted. Presently I can use the Parallels menu to give the card reader to the PC, or to the Mac. Switching is nearly instantaneous.

I did not know that both the Mac and the Windows emulation could access the card at the same time. Is there anything in the manual (don't even know where mine might be) that states how? Please post if you ever find a solution.

6. WiseByte

WiseByte Bit poster

7. Pilotage

Pilotage Bit poster

I have read all threads above, and am stuck. Can someone please help with step-by-step instructions on what to do? I have access to the AF Portal on the Mac side, but am not sure if I have to download all the files on the VM side too.

Thanks in advance.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

As a general rule you should assume that for all matters and intents a VM is like a separate computer.