Open MS-Word on Windows from Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mattdh666, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mattdh666

mattdh666 Bit poster

I have Parallels Desktop 6.0 installed on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.8.

I have MS-Word installed on the Windows side only. I do not have MS-Word for Mac.

I configured Parallels, so that when I Open a Word file (doc/docx) from the Mac side (using the Finder for example), the file should open in MS-Word on the Windows side.

MS-Word on Windows launches fine, but I get the error:

'\\psf\Home\Documents\myDoc.docx' cannot be found. Check your spelling, or try a different path.

If I then go to the File | Open dialog in MS-Word, I can navigate to the file on the Mac side and open it fine.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks,
    Matt

2. LanaDawn

LanaDawn Bit poster

Any luck on this issue Matt? I'm having the same error with the same version of Parallels and same OS.

3. mattdh666

mattdh666 Bit poster

Nope. Sorry, Lana. I ended up installing the Mac version of MS-Office...

4. Printfun

Printfun Member

I have this same issue.
    Curiously enough, I have found that if the Explorer browser on the Windows side happens to be open when you double-click on the Word or Excel file, then those programs will launch and open their respective files without any problems.

5. megavolt17

megavolt17 Product Expert

I never got past this with Parallels 6, but it seems to work properly in Parallels 7.

6. bohmac

bohmac Bit poster

Same Problem!

I am having the same problem. Tried adding the mac mail downloads folder to folders that can be read/write by mac and windows (Parallels: configure: options: sharing: custom folders: add folder), but still have the same problem.

Can anyone help?

7. VeronicaS

VeronicaS Bit poster

Parallels 7 Problem

I am having this same exact problem and I am running Parallels 7. It was not always like this. Has anyone found a way to change the WinWord.Exe file path? Mine searches for a non-existent drive. As much as I paid for this program, I expect it to work the way it was advertised. Does ANYONE have a solution?

8. Printfun

Printfun Member

I found that simply reinstalling the Parallels Tools fixed all of this.
    Only takes about a minute to do. I can't believe I put up with this for so long when the fix was so darn easy.