how to clean up disk in Windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mikeeast, Aug 7, 2011.

1. mikeeast

mikeeast Bit poster

I have a mac and and am running parallels so I can use xp.
    A window came up that said to compress the disk as I was running out of space.
    I did it and it said that it could not be completed and something about maybe there were corrupt files or that I needed to delete snapshots.
    I don't have any snapshots.
    I had a bunch of music files on xp and deleted them. Now I have 55 of 60 gb free.

My concern was the message about corrupt files. Is there a way to check to see if I have corrupt tiles on xp?

It has been years since I have used xp. On mac they have a disk utility to clean up the operating system. Is there something like that on xp for corrupt files or whatever else might be wrong?

2. MarkMarkian

MarkMarkian Bit poster

Yeah..... I have a 1TB hard drive, without regular disk clean up sessions, I'll surely run out of empty space. Lots of videos...........

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Disregard the reply above, it's just someone spamming a link to a commercial software.

You should run CHKDSK (check disk) in windows to correct any problems, and only after that you can try compress: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265