Thread: 10.6.8 Server Hosts Crashing

Default 10.6.8 Server Hosts Crashing

I've got three VMs on my two instances of Parallels Server for Mac that are kernel panicking regularly. We've updated Parallels Server to the most recent version, ran the 10.6.8 v1.1 updater on the VMs, but the crashes continue. They're configured with a variety of settings, single and dual CPUs, various amounts of RAM. It's starting to drive me nuts! Any tips for getting our VMs to be as stable as they were under 10.6.7?

Default Same problems here...

We have 2 host servers running the latest || updates. 1 box is fine, the other box has 3 Mac VMs that consistantly kernel panic every 2-3 weeks. RHEL and 2008R2 Guest OS's appear OK.

I've changed my Mac server VMs from dual-processor to single-processor, and the kernel panics have stopped (so far, anyway...knock on wood). Seems something with 10.6.8 doesn't like multiprocessor virtualized environments.

Hi all,

the same for me too. I canīt figure out what the reason is because all virtual machines are configured completely different.

Any idea from Parallels?

Regards,

Christian

Default nothing new?

Hi Parallels folks?

Is there no patch or update available to get 10.6.8 running with more than one CPU again? I am wondering what all the bigger customers say about that issue...

Kind regards,

Christian

have you opened a ticket with parallels for this? they are much more responsive that way. they seem to treat these forums like the plague.

Hi!

Of course - but nothing happens. I have complained about a lot of bugs, but they tell me that they will first fix it with SP 2 in december or january :-(

Regards,

Christian

I wish I would have read this before I upgraded my VMs. I had been running 10.6.7 on a few key servers and they ran beautifully.

I can can't even boot these systems to single user mode anymore. It sticks and [PCI Configuration Begin]

I hope they get to something quickly.

Can anyone else verify that switching them down to 1 processor will help?

Thanks!

Default Verified

I have verified that dropping down to 1 processor does help. But I have to say I have sacrificed some performance for sure. This needs to be looked at!

Default running 10.6.8 guest

I had a 10.6.7 Server guest that hadn't been updated since May 2011 hosted by Parallels Sever for Mac Bare Metal Edition. I ran Software Update and installed 10.6.8 v1.1 (also ProKit Update 7.0, Remote Desktop Client Update 3.5.2). The VM didn't successfully boot after restart. The console was on grey-on-grey apple with VM's CPU usage at about 75% for a few minutes then the VM stopped.

Based on this thread I changed the CPU from 2 to 1 and the VM booted successfully.

I ran Software Update again and installed Security Update 2012-001 v1.1 (also Java Update 6, Safari 5.1.2). VM successfully booted after restart. Shut down VM, changed CPU from 1 to 2, VM still successfully booted. The VM doesn't have any work to do but it's been running all afternoon. I'm not sure how quickly other people have seen crashes, I only experienced the failure to boot after installing 10.6.8 v1.1.

I should also note that I ran vzup2date last week so PSfM BME was already up-to-date (kernel 2.6.18-028stab070.14). vzup2date hadn't been run since May (or possibly never) so I'm not sure if any of its updates were newer than the release of OS X 10.6.8.

Thanks for posting an update. I'm going to run the security update and all others and see if it makes a difference on one of my VM's

I'll let you know.

Chad

Default Still An issue

I did what was suggested and My VM still crashes when using multiple processors. Any Parallels Engineers out there?

Bit Poster

is there anyone solve this already?