Migrating VMs from VMware Workstation 7

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by marius roma italy, Sep 1, 2011.

1. marius roma italy

marius roma italy Junior Member

I apologize for the very basic question and I hope I am posting in the right forum.
    I am performing some tests with Parallels Desktop 6 on a Mac OS X box and I need to import a Windows XP VM from VMware Workstation 7 running on a Windows XP box.
    I had a look to either documentation and forums but I see more and more topics related to importing from VMware Fusion and very few topics related to VMware Workstation.
    I attempted copying my VM from the XP box to the Mac and just opened it with Parallels Desktop: it looks that the VM is recognized, but when I try to boot the VM the OS is not found.
    I installed the Parallels Transport Agent inside the VM and attempted to transfer the VM via network, but Parallels Transport installed on the target Mac box was unable to contact the agent via network.
    The only solution I found was using the Transport agent to copy the VM to a network share and import it from the Mac box.
    Is there a smarter solution?
    Can anybody please help?
    Regards
    marius
    Roma - Italy

2. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi, marius

Please create a problem report (Help->Report a problem) when you get that OS is not found. And post report ID here.

Thanks.

3. marius roma italy

The right procedure

Does it mean that the right procedure is just copying my VMware Workstation VM to my Mac box and open it with Parallels desktop, and that this procedure should work?
    Regards
    marius

4. Stuw

Yes. That procedure should work.

5. marius roma italy

It works...

Many thanks, Stuw,
    the procedure does work.
    It's great!
    Let me just ask some additional questions:

Question #1: is the copnversion procedure documented anywhere?

I don't think that moving a VM from VMware workstation on a Windows box to Desktop Parallels to a Mac box is a task so unusual.
    However, I looked for information in the site without finding anything, so that I attempted to follow other paths (like using Parallels Transport).

Question #2: After converting my VM I have to solve some additional issues: my VM supports a custom application where users make a wide use (in Windows) of the keys F11 and F12 keys: what is the simplest way to configure the converted VM so that users can use the F11 and F12 keys (on the Mac keyboard) to perform the actions the use to perform?

Thank you again for your help

marius

Roma - Italy

6. Stuw

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  7. marius roma italy

Thank you

Thank you again.
    marius