Windows Does Not See the CD/DVD

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by birdieman63, Sep 14, 2011.

1. birdieman63

birdieman63 Bit poster

Am trying to install a Windows program (NIS 2011) on Parallels 7 but the OS does not see the CD/DVD; cannot load the program regardless of what I do. After suspending Windows the CD/DVD is visible on the Mac desktop and can be ejected.

2. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

In your Windows VM settings, click Hardware and then click CD/DVD 1. Ensure that the 'Connected' box is ticked, and that Connect To: has Default CD/DVD chosen.

The is usually the default setting, but I've seen it get stuck on Image Files.

3. jimbbpark

jimbbpark Bit poster

I have same issue. When I select "connect", I then get the same message as when Windows is loading -

Unable to connect CD/DVD 1.

A file or device required for the operation of CD/DVD 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected.

4. birdieman1963

birdieman1963 Bit poster

Have tried everything relater to connecting/reconnecting the CD/DVD with no success; still not working which makes Parallels useless. Help please.

5. strells

strells Product Expert

Have you tried completely shutting down the VM and checking the hardware connection option mentioned by PatrickJ? And in the same CD/DVD settings, what do you have the Location set to?

Steve

6. birdieman1963

birdieman1963 Bit poster

I've tried the instructions provided by Parallels support:

1. Launch Parallels Desktop and the Windows Virtual Machine.

2. From the top Mac menu bar, select 'Devices'-->'CD/DVD1'-->'Real CD/DVD'-->'Default CD/DVD'.

3. From the top Mac menu bar, select 'Virtual Machine'-->'Configure'-->'Hardware'.

4. Select CD/DVD1 and make sure that it is checked on connected.

Tried all the above but no luck. Also have shutdown the entire system and restarted the Mac and XP, all to no avail. Now receiving error message "Unable to connect CD/DVD 1. A file or device required for the operation of CD/DVD 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected." (Have saved a screen shot that I emailed to Parallels).

I have heard the disc drive start to run and then stop. Drive is working fine with the Mac but Parallels/Windows does not yet see it.

7. jimbbpark

jimbbpark Bit poster

I saw on another thread where connecting to cd/dvd was working fine until upgrading Mac OS to Lion. For those who have no issues, are you running Lion? I am also running Lion and can not connect to CD/DVD.

8. birdieman1963

birdieman1963 Bit poster

I think that you may be on to something. I, too, had upgraded to Lion several weeks ago and bought the Parallels 7 trusting to get better Lion support and speed. Now I am hearing from others that did the same that they cannot connect to the drive. Also, Parallels appears very slow in responding to the support ticket I initiated (2+ days) so they may be having an inordinate number of issues with the new release. Also, a few others I have had contact with have reported exactly the same issue; I suspect that there is a bug within the Parallels software.

9. Chilemike

Chilemike Bit poster

Cd/dvd

I have the same problem. Everythting is fine with version 6 and Lion but version 7 does not recognize the CD/DVD. Have tried reinstalling Version 7 but problem persists. As another post says without the CD/DVD drive version 7 is useless. Parallels needs to solve the problem immediately or refund the purchase price.

10. birdieman1963

birdieman1963 Bit poster

I, too, am running Lion and yesterday did the maintenance upgrade to Parallels, hoping that it might incorporate the bug fix, but....no such luck. Also, I am becoming more frustrated with Parallels support; they take 2 days to reply and then their suggestions yield nothing.

Sure hope one of their employees is monitoring this forum!

11. Chilemike

Chilemike Bit poster

It should be relatively easy to fix. There is obviously a process to load the cd/dvd. If not there would not be an error message. I would assume that the process is written incorrectly and that is why it cannot find the appropriate Mac file.

12. Chilemike

Chilemike Bit poster

Parallels answered my original question within 24 hours so I cannot complain about timing. The fix is to go into the configuration menu, delete the CD/DVD and then add it back. That seems to solve the problem about recognition. However two other problems have arisen. Firstly the "auto run" feature in Windows does not work. You have to open up computer and double click the drive icon to start the program. Secondly the Mac Eject key does not work. You must go back into computer, right clic the drive icon and choose eject.

It sounds to me that Parallels needs to rewrite its entire CD/DVD code. That will be my next problem as I live in the Chilean countryside and have Internet Access through a USD Mobile modem. I get 6MB/sec service however the service comes with a cap on the monthly down load allowance and this version of Parallels takes 3MB. Once you use your allowance the speed drops off to next to nothing.

13. birdieman1963

birdieman1963 Bit poster

I've tried every suggestion all to no avail. The XP Window just doesn't see the CD/DVD and I am now reluctant to install Parallels on my wife's Mac. Seems like the problem is more pervasive than Parallels may choose to acknowledge.

14. Chilemike

Chilemike Bit poster

Birdieman

I let parallels know about the additional problems. Lets see if they come up with anything. In the meantime I have reinstalled version 6. The only problem with this is that if Parallels comes up with a fix for version 7 the update system will not show it. It does seem however that all of these software companies now issue new versions way before they have tested them. In fact they use the customers as testers. Immoral at least!

15. Baccalad

Baccalad Junior Member

I had a similar problem but after much difficulty I got lucky; after restarting the virtual machine a little message popped up at the bottom of the screen saying drivers installed or something of the sort.

16. birdieman1963

birdieman1963 Bit poster

Interesting! Now Parallels wants me to modify the registry in a fix that does not apply to XP! I wonder if they know what they are doing on this???

17. birdieman1963

birdieman1963 Bit poster

Just in the unlikely event that someone from Parallels is monitoring this forum:
    - I have decided to go to VMWare since the Parallels 7 is such a problem and the support is virtually non-existent
    - Am trying to get a refund of my purchase price but do not have confidence that it will be processed
    - When all product support is in India it is extremely difficult to transact business due to the different language and accents
    - Please do not give a fix that is for Windows 7 when a customer is running a different version
    - It is not acceptable to tell your customers that they will need to reinstall Windows due to a problem with the Parallels product

18. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hello all,

Have you ever used external CD/DVD?
    Could you please generate problem report after VM boot and trying to access CD/DVD? (http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058)
    Post report ID here and I will pass this technical information to our R&D team.

Thank you

19. birdieman1963

birdieman1963 Bit poster

have not tried an external drive, but I'm also not going to purchase one to fix this issue. The Parallels software is the problem; see incident #1223782.

20. KarenG

KarenG Bit poster

DId this ever get resolved as I have the same problem happening and this is now 2014? can someone redirect me to where there is info on how to solve this. I have a new Mac with no optical drive and am connected via firewire 800 to my old mac. It started once I loaded on program and now it will not recognize dvd again. I have checked every step carefully mentioned above.
    I've tried the instructions provided by Parallels support and previous post as listed below

1. Launch Parallels Desktop and the Windows Virtual Machine.

2. From the top Mac menu bar, select 'Devices'-->'CD/DVD1'-->'Real CD/DVD'-->'Default CD/DVD'.

3. From the top Mac menu bar, select 'Virtual Machine'-->'Configure'-->'Hardware'.

4. Select CD/DVD1 and make sure that it is checked on connected.

Tried all the above but no luck. Also have shutdown the entire system and restarted the Mac and XP, all to no avail. Now receiving error message "Unable to connect CD/DVD 1. A file or device required for the operation of CD/DVD 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected." (Have saved a screen shot that I emailed to Parallels).

I have heard the disc drive start to run and then stop. Drive is working fine with the Mac but Parallels/Windows does not yet see it.