Windows Experience Index impossible to perform

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by seele999, Sep 18, 2011.

1. seele999

seele999 Bit poster

Hello,

I've just upgraded to p7, and now it's impossible to perform the Windows Experience Index test on win7
    It keeps saying me that there is a problem with a driver or a program running....
    any idea ?

I want tu use the aero theme...

Thanks in advance

MB pro C2D @2,4 GHz
    8 Gb ram, and 3 for the WM
    OSX Lion

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I suggest you

- start your VM

- uninstall the PD 7 tools, using Windows' uninstall feature

- restart the VM, best in a Window; you won't have mouse integration and probably no sound

- re-install the PD 7 tools from Parallels' menu bar (the VM might even ask you if you want to install the tools)

- restart the VM

It now should show Aero.

Don't place too much confidence in the Windows Experience Index. As the measurements are themselves virtualized they don't mean too much. The 3D graphics aren't virtualized as no graphics card (yet) supports virtualization; thus, all VMs that do 3D graphics have to emulate them (by means of a lot of very clever on-the-fly translation), and these emulations are usually optimized for games, not for benchmark tests.

3. seele999

seele999 Bit poster

Thank you but it doesn't work...

i made a screen capture of the error, but it's in french, sorry ;)

By the way, although it's impossible to rate may WM in win7, could i still use 3D games ?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

4. BarryinColorado

BarryinColorado Junior Member

same issue

I have had the same issue after upgrading to PD 7, I could get the WEI to work only after checking under configuration-hardware-3D acceleration.
    Then, after booting into win7, WEI worked for me.
    I do not use AERO in Win7

5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Hm, that is strange. You may want to check the memory settings of your VM's graphics card - set it to 256 MB if it isn't there already.

Possibly you have other 3rd party software running on your system that is somehow interfering with the experience index? Any additional drivers?

As regards 3D games, the best way to find out is to try. I don't think there's any reason they shouldn't run.

Good luck!

6. Same issue on Macbook Air

I am having the same issue. Although its not a huge deal to me. Don't plan to play games, probably would not be very good anyway on a Macbook Air with only 2GB RAM. But would like to know where WEI stands. I had to disable 3D in hardware settings because Parallels was running slowly. Changed Theme to Windows Basic too. Running much better.
    Because parallels is using some type of Virtual driver for Video as it shows in the Device manager of Windows. I suspect WEI is somehow getting confused as too what it is testing. Never had it happen with any native Windows install.